1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart Switching

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mikatt, Oct 8, 2004.

1. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So what is better about a scart switcher as compared to Daisy chaining???

Mike

2. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Every cable will lose some signal quality - the more cable the signal passes through, the more signal quality is lost.

Every connection will lose signal quality as well.

If you daisy chain, you have all of those connections, and for the end point of the chain, the signal has to pass through the length of all those cables.

That isn't even taking into account the fact that each device you pass through may affect quality, fail to pass through RGB or widescreen switching info (possibly), or whether the device needs to be powered up to pass through. Plus, you may also lose flexibility - ie. if you chain an Xbox through a Sky+ digibox, can you play an Xbox game whilst archiving a recording to tape / DVD?

A scart switcher reduces degredation for items far down the chain, offer flexibility in terms of 'watching' one device and using another for other purposes, and makes it easier you to choose which device is shown on the display.

3. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you Graham I am at the moment only daisy chaining two units so I can see that if I expand to more units I may begin to get a degraded signal path. I will have to think about a Quintro

Mike