1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scart switcher

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by andrewq, Dec 23, 2004.

1. andrewq

andrewq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have two vcr's, a DVD and a freeview box. All this means i'm having to use a scart switcher. Does anyone know where i can get an automatic switcher(ie detects an incoming signal and switches that channel to the output)? I've seen one in an old `lekropacks' catalogue but can't find it on their web site.

Thanks

2. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello Look at QED-uk.com search for Quintro this should do what you want

Mike

3. shansy

shansy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Mine came from cpc.co.uk

4 way auto in switcher and two manually selectable outputs

Worked great with my TV but its causing problems with my plasma

Kevin

4. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,

I too am after a SCART switch, but in this case just for two devices, a cable DigiBox and a DVD player. The box also needs to be RGB compatiable and fully automatic (as this is for my mother-in-law and another button will freak her even further!). By this I mean that the DVD output will be shown if switched on, but when put into standby, the DigiBox output will be shown.

I looked a QED as suggested - but £60 for this device is unreasonable and impractical. I also looked a CPC, but thier web site is poor with little explanation of the devices on offer, as well as listing a myriad of posibilities.

Does anyone have any further suggestions of a simple reletavily cheap device?

Chris

5. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I purchased one from John Lewis some time ago. Three inputs and one dedicated output. It worked well and was autoswitching. However if fell apart and I decided not to replace it as I rarely watch videos and therefore only use two scarts (DVD + Sky) and my TV has two.
    Not sure if they sell them any more, but worth a look.

6. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  7. agneepath

agneepath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  8. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've seen this but is too expensive.

As regards to this, it only looks as though it has 1 SCART input, but I maybe mistaken.

I have come across these item that seem more reasonable.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=2501&productId=107064&clickfrom=name

and

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9468&TabID=1&source=14&doy=28m12

This later one from maplins seems ideal. I think it is RGB compatiable and automatically switches input source. I have aksed a question of Maplins, but I guess they won't answer until tommorow at the earliest.

9. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Is this the unit you refer to? http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV11104&N=401

What are the problems that this model is causing? Picture inteferance? RGB Compatiable?

10. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  11. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  12. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Vivanco 5into1 switcher from Dixons yesterday.

Model no: SBX-95SE
    4 RGB enabled scart inputs, each with a digital RCA input (AV2-5)
    s-video/composite/audio front inputs (AV1)
    Captive scart lead output (pretty good quality though) plus digital RCA out and L/R analogue audio out.
    Manual or automatic scart switching.
    Mains powered.

Cost me a shade under £30 and works like a charm (although it can get a little confused in automatic mode if all your devices are outputting a signal - best use manual mode).

Pretty pleased with mine overall....

13. agneepath

agneepath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  14. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm really anoyed about this. I think this adapter/switch look like it will offers the best value for money. It has a SCART lead already attached (so saving money there), looks like it has decent interconnects and comes from a well known cable manufacturer. The problem is I can't find it for the price they advertise on thier site - Only at comet for £29.95 http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/391_153885.html.

Ohterwise, after a lot of consideration, I think it is best to avoid the cheaper auto switchboxes and go fo the Trilogy 3 - but at nearly 40 quid plus the need to buy an additonal SCART lead is it worth it?

Can anyone actually find the Moster cable adapter for the recommended price?

15. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Good point. Comet are charging a ridiculous price for it!

16. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  17. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I contacted Comet about the £29.99 they are charging for the Monster Cable Scart Switch (comet link). They simply replied saying that this was the price they charge. I asked them to price match but they said they would only price match places like Currys, Dixons Argos and a couple of others (so basically they told me to p*** off or buy it!)

I can't find any other dealer that stocks the Monster Cable Scart Switchbox (monster link) at the price as advertised on Monsters own web site, and there dealer list seems limited to Comet, Curries and Powerhouse. I have contacted Monster about where to get hold of the item at their price but have had no joy so far.

18. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My JS Technology Master scart Switcher arrived yesterday. Very good - does exactly what it says, with no obvious detriment to the picture quality. At last I can enjoy RGB quality from both my DVD and NTL cable box. As it is all automatic I'll never need to touch it again.

19. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got one at b&q for £40 ---saw it for £60 elsewhere -- made by pasterplug ---4 into 1

Dave

20. andrewq

andrewq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got my switcher yesterday 4 weeks after ordering it, i won't bore you with that story but don't use CPC. anyway after much patience waiting for it i set about hooking it up. the instructions as with most thing now are poor, but i got it autoswitching. then i noticed the big big problem, it isn't RGB!!. the web site says "ideal for use with DVD's", the box it came in says "ideal for DVD, satalite, digital cable, digital tv". how the hell can it be ideal if it dosn't do RGB? i feel conned, surely they can't claim all this what about "trade descriptions act". so be warned if you want a scart switcher , check for RGB and don't use the http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV11104&N=401[link]PHILEX 28520-click me

21. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  22. Emm

Emm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to hear of your hassles Andrew - you must have just been unlucky.

I have used CPC many times. In fact my most recent puchase from them happened to be a scart switcher (Quintro+ BT945: Code AV0935912); ordered at 11am on a Wednesday, delivered by UPS 9am the next day.....

The one I ordered was £64.39 all in delivered (AV-Sales have the same one for £91.06). To me it's perfect; full auto switching etc - just fit and forget.

Quoted from CPC catalogue:
    The "Quintro+" is a fully remote controlled SCART management unit which is ideal for controlling the interconnections between the ever growing collection of A/V equipment in a typical home or office.

- 5 SCART inputs and 2 phono inputs

- SCART output with 2 phono outputs

- LED indicators for socket status

- Electronic locking of 2 SCARTs whilst recording allows operation of other sockets

- Automatic widescreen switching

- S-VHS and RGB compatible

Contents: Quintro+, remote, batteries and user guide

I sympathise with you in that you've ended up with something not up to expectations - have you tried contacting them for an exchange?

HTH

23. phancey

phancey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there,

how does the Quintro+ or the Vivanco SBX 95 SE deal with RGB if not all my inputs/outputs are RGB?

If for example my TV can take RGB input but my video can't, and my DVD does RGB output but my Freeview doesn't? Can I set it up to take best advantage of all these or does the fact that some don't do RGB output mean that I will have to set them all to RGB off?

Or is it just a case of flicking a switch depending for example on whether I'm watching Freeview or a DVD?

And if this is the case, what if I want to video Freeview whilst watching a DVD?

any help appreciated as neither Vivanco nor BTech have bothered to reply to me.

thanks

24. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    There's one (Hitachi ?) in the new Argos catalogue for £59.99 (534/4462). Remote control, five in, one out (inc optical & discrete 's' on two ins).

Mike.

25. andrewq

andrewq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't worry it sorts itself out in the same way your television sorts itself out. i think pin 18 on the scart gets a signal on it when an RGB signal is being transmitted. a switcher just detects an incoming signal(whatever it is) and switches it to the TV, just make sure the switcher is RGB compatble

26. phancey

phancey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but what about the output? I want RGB output to my TV but non-RGB output to my video(DVD recorder).

Also, does this effectively make it a converter, because if it detects RGB coming in (from my DVD player) but then I want to output composite to my video - it converts the signal?

I thought I saw an RGB button on one of the smaller Vivanco units which implied it is either on or off for the whole unit?

27. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,336
    I think you'll find that any device outputting RGB over SCART will also output composite and L+R audio unless you are using a fancy 'RGB only' cable which will drop composite and sound.
    The Quintro doesn't have an RGB switch. 4 of the 5 inputs are RGB in, one of the Quintro+ inputs can't accept and RGB input because it's wired as an RGB output. If you only want to connect a composite video recorder then that would be the one to choose.
    Quintro+ is around £70 inc VAT and delivery from www.cpc.co.uk

FWIW when I emailed a query to B-Tech I got a response in 24hours. Maybe that person is away.

28. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well here's the saga of the Monster switch box.

As can be seen from Monsters own site, there recommended retail price is £19.95. However, Comet have the item on sale for £29.99. I email both Monster and Comet to see what was going on.

First, Comet replied and said that their price was the correct national price and that the price on the Monster website was only the price if you bought direct from them. They said they wouldn’t price match as they would only do this if the price was seen on one of a few other websites - such as Argos, Currys, Dixon's etc.

I then emailed Monster and they said that you CAN'T buy direct from them, only through there authorised dealers - which in the UK are only Comet, Currys and Powerhouse. They did say that the price on their website was their recommended retail price however. I asked them if they could help my find where this product was being sold at this price, but they referred me back to the three companies above. They also said that although this was their recommended price, they could not force any of their authorised dealers to sell at this price.

The problem is that I could only find one company in the UK selling this product – Comet. I then emailed to Comet again saying that they price on Monsters website WAS their recommended REATIL price, Comet replied by saying they would pass on the information to their pricing department. I have not heard anything since.

I followed this up with an email to Monster. I said how disgusting it was that they ONLY sell their items through a limited number of distributors, and although they are willing to list recommended prices, they will not make sure that their distributors sell for the recommended price (or lower). I also said that I though the additional 50% increase on the price pushed the product into a different league. I have not heard anything from Monster since!

Ok, so £10 may not be a big deal (but to me it is), but it also a point of principle. Legally, I believe there is nothing that can be done as the recommended price of a manufacturer means didily squat

If you want to complain so maybe some people will get a cheaper product in the future or even only for the sheer hell of it – for to Comet go to https://comet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/comet.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php. For Monster try http://www.monstercable.org.uk/service/ or email SupportMC@monstercable.com or apechereau@monstercable.com (the latter is the guy that replied to me).

29. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  30. tomba

tomba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a problem while connecting two SCART devices (DVD and VCR) to a single older-type TV with only one SCART input. This is the only input (beside the antena coax) the TV has. I have figuered out that the scart switcher might help solve the problem, but I would need some additional info, which I would really appreciate.

I have already bought a simple and cheap SCART switch box (two inputs, one output), it has no visible manual switching stuff and there was also no additional info in the package. My guess is, that it does no switching at all, it just displays what it gets. This I wouldn't mind, because it is not my intention to have both devices on at the same time,
    but the problem is, that the picture I get is distorted on the TV, even if I sctritly have only one device switched on at a time...

When I connect all devices, I can view the DVD signal normally, but the signal from the VCR (casette playback or cable-signal) is very dark and totally without sharpness, even if the DVD is completely switched off. It only helps if I unplug the DVD Scart from the switch box, but that is exactly what I want to avoid (re-plugging the cables each time).

I don't mind thrashing the switch, because it was really cheap, but I would request you guys to give me a proper advice to avoid this s*** happening again. As I think now, automatic switching would be nice :)

Can you recomend me a device that would fullfil my needs and give me good quality picture from both devices without any interference?

Could there be a problem with the TV or is it just the switch (if I connect each device separately, both work good)?

:lease:

Thanks a lot :)