SCART switcher (not the usual one)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MichaelJP, Jun 8, 2004.

1. MichaelJP

MichaelJP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to switch a single RGB SCART input between two display devices. Does anyone know if such a box is available?

I know there are many that switch several inputs to one output, maybe I can use one of these in reverse? I suppose it depends if there are IN and OUT RGB pins in the SCART definition...

Thanks,
    - Michael

2. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Michael,

I am looking for a similar product.

Only I am trying to switch from My Freeview box to either my TV (the signal will be RGB) or my Projector (Component Signal).

I would think that as you suggested you could just use a standard switchbox in reverse.

Maybe this page will help

http://www.leadsdirect.f9.co.uk/scart.htm

I'm trying to get my head around it at the moment.

Perhaps someone else more techie or who has tried this could help us out?

3. MichaelJP

MichaelJP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Teleport, well I tried an Argos SCART switch box in reverse but for some reason it didn't work.

From the pinouts though it would appear that SCART RGB is not directional, although Audio and Composite are - anyone technical know why a switch box won't work in reverse?

- Michael

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    Hello Both

Not too many dedicated 1:2 (or more) SCART Distribution amps around - and certainly nothing I know of has Signal Distribution PLUS RGB to YUV (Component) video conversion (on one output only) built in.

As ever budget is going to play a big part in the quality of the signal you end up having on your two screens - I'm sure it is possible to use a low cost SCART switch box to output an RGB signal to two monitors (see http://www.b-tech-int.com/Welcome.html > Video control > BT21-S) but most of the boxes will be passive so your output signal strength is halved on each output.

MichaelJP - given the best part of £450 we ca do what you require and retain image quality using a Zektor HDS4.2 video switcher. See http://www.zektor.com

Teleport - given that you require RGB to one Display and YUV to your second display your least cost option would be a second Freeview box - you could install a NetGem iPlay for sub £80 which has YUV (Component) out via SCART. See http://www.netgem.com

Best regards

Joe

5. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Joe.

My freeview box is an I-player. Hence the need for component switching.

I think a second box is slight overkill.

Why would a switcher give half signal strength to each output? Surely the whole idea of a switcher is that it outputs the whole signal to one place or the other. I think what your talking about is a switcher.

I Have a KVM switcher I am goint to rewire with scart and YUV sockets. Just as a test project.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    Teleport

Many of the low cost (sub £50) switches are passive - so they rely on the source to power the switch and tend to drop the incoming voltage.

As you say a switcher 'should' pass the whole signal - though that not always the case with the loss cost units.

I guess you mean if you use a low cost (passive) Distribution Amp (DA) - your more likely to get half a signal per output.

I still reckon a second i-Player is your best bet as otherwise you'll be messing about switching the i-player from RGB to YUV to suit which display your switching too and any low cost switch is going to stuff up your signal anyway (especially visible when you hit the projector with the signal).

Best regards

Joe

7. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Joe,

I was hoping to get something with just a physical switch that requires no power at all. This is what I am hoping to achieve by altering the manual KVM switch I have.

As for the switching of the Netgem. That's not too much hasstle as I have my remote control set up to do this as a macro, so I only have to press 1 key.