scart switcher and hdmi question...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ste74, Dec 27, 2006.

1. ste74

ste74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :hiya: hi to all , just joined this forum today , it looks a very informative site , i'm hopeful i can get some answers to a few questions i have as i delve into this new world of hd and lcd (new to me anyway !) , and who knows i might be able to offer some advice to others....

anyway i'll fire away , at present i have cable digital , a sony rdr860 dvd/hdd recorder , a db500s satellite receiver , a lg surround sound system all connected via a monster mv3 scart control centre to my crt tv.
    all connections at present are using thor and cambridge audio scart leads (except for the sound which is coaxial from dvd/hdd recorder to lg sound system).
    i'm about to buy a samsung le40r74bdx 40" lcd tv which i will want to connect to the system using a hdmi lead.

my question is , should i still use the scart from the dvd/hdd to connect to the scart switcher and then keep the scart output to the tv.then i would assume i could use a hdmi lead from dvd/hdd to lcd tv for when i wanted to watch a dvd at an upscaled rate ? does this sound like the best solution , or does anybody have any suggestions ?

thanks in advance , ste. :hiya:

2. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    If the Samsung has two RGB SCARTs could you not connect the DVD using HDMI and the Sat and cable boxes using SCART and not use the SCART switch anymore?

You certainly might as well use the HDMI lead for the DVD for both SD and HD watching and get rid of one SCART connection.

3. ste74

ste74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i did think about it that way but if i do that i think i won't be able to record from the sat or cable box , will i ?
    at the moment the switcher enables me to record from either source and still watch the other.
    i just wasn't sure if the set up i had and using the hdmi on the new tv would be of greater benefit than just using my existing scart connection to watch dvd's.
    something i'll have to try out i think once the new tv comes.

thanks for your reply,

ste.:smashin:

4. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Good point about recording, hadn't thought of that.

The HDMI should give a better picture than RGB because you can set the outpuit of the DVD to progressive - this should give a better picture even on SD DVDs.