1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart Switch problem

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DavidT, Mar 10, 2005.

1. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I have a Philips w/s tv that has 1x RGB scart (EXT1) and 1x composite / s-video scart (EXT2).

I want to connect 4 devices to the scart inputs on the TV, one is easy as it is a VCR so that can go on EXT2.

The other devices are an NTL digibox, an all-in-one home cinema system with DVD and a recordable DVD (not bought yet). All of these should go to the EXT1 on the TV via a scart switch but my problem is that I will potentially have all 3 devices switched on at the same time. I could be watching NTL with the sound thru the HC system whilst recording what I am viewing or an analogue programme.

How can I connect this all together and should I get a manual or automatic scart switch.

Thanks

David

2. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I have been reading some more from the user manuals and seem to have 2 options for connecting the NTL STB and the VCR using the SCARTs.

Option 1 - connect the EXT1 (RGB) on the TV to the AV1 on the VCR, then connect AV2 on the VCR to the TV SCART on the NTL STB. Apparantly my Panasonic VCR has RGB pass-through. This method is from the VCR user manual.

Option 2 - connect the EXT1 on the TV to the TV SCART on the NTL STB, then connect the VCR SCART on the STB to AV1 on the VCR. This method is from the STB user manual.

Which of the above would you recommend.

This leaves the home cinema system with the s-video SCART (EXT2).

When I get the DVD recorder I will replace the VCR directly with it in which case would option 1 be best?

David

3. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Sorted it out for myself, option 2 wins.

Option 1 lost out because when ever the VCR was turned on it interupted the STB signal.

David