1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCART (RGBs) to component

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by neural, Apr 13, 2005.

1. neural

neural

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    This is still quite confusing to me. I have searched the forums, read masses of posts and still don't quite understand it.

I need to know whether it is possible to connect a SCART (that is outputting RGBs) to the component connectors on my plasma screen. There seems to be a fourth cable (for synch) that is needed, but I only have Y, Pb, Pr available on the screen. My DVD has S-Video only and the screen only has a single S-Video port.

Any suggestions are most welcome... :thumbsup:

2. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    having not solved the problem 100% i believe you need a converter for that
    i bought one but for one reason or another i couldnt get a decent image there is either something wrong with my sat box or the converter i bought so i may not be the reference in here.

i bought a converter however, that also sells in uk check my thread its long and might be confusing since there are a lot of information that you dont need in it.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198244&highlight=marantz

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This will not work. You need a JS technology RGB to component converter.

www.tmfsolutions.co.uk

sell them

4. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    dear Nic,

was tha message for me or for neural is there something wrong with the converter i have purchased ??

5. neural

neural

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Nic
    Thanks for the advice. I will check it out there.

@jazzman
    I think he meant that your converter would not do the job and that we both need to look at that specific converter.

Many thanks.

6. radicalrad

radicalrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    couldn't you use an A/V amp to do this? loads of svcd inputs and then out to where ever you want it to go?
    dont know just a thought..

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    RGB and component are related but different. For all intents and purposes you need to translate SCART RGB signals to component in order to use the component input sockets. This is achieved by the JS box I indicated. It can be done with a R network but the JS box is a little more sophisticated and high quality. It is not difficult to do but JS are one of the few that does it properly.

The original advice is aimed at Neural.

Jazzman

Component is a three cable signal. There is no separate sync / timing signal. All variants come on three cables from SD interlaced to HD progressive.

RGB is a bit different and the terminology used is often ‘iffy'.

RGB is another high quality interface. It also comes in interlaced and progressive versions. It is most commonly seen on computers where we use a 5-connection system RGBHV (Red Green Blue Horizontal sync Vertical sync). It is how most analogue computer monitors are driven (HD 15 connector to CRT monitor showing VGA, SVGA, XGA etc are all RGBHV). There are numerous other versions. A 4 wire one where the sync signals are combined (combined H and V). A three wire hides the sync signal on one of the colour signal. RGB signals in general come through a variety of physical connector.

SCART uses RGB on some of its 21 pins. This is an interlaced ONLY version. Most SCART RGB signals sink on composite (but occasionally G). This means 4 wires in the SCART! Some receivers now allow switching on 4 wires (ARCAMs etc) and this means that they can switch SCART RGB signals properly including the composite sync signal. If you have component they just use the 3 wires. This however is what the majority receiver now offer as the international market is component not the crappy euro SCART. Three wire switching is the norm, 4 wire switch is MUCH less common and hence the main reason for our problems here.

SCART signal levels are lower than other RGB signals and are therefore not easily matched / interfaced without additional electronics.

The JS box takes these RGB and sync on composite (4) and converts it to component (3) at the correct voltage. This you can then feed to component inputs on you display device.

To be strictly accurate RGB is a component signal, however in reality the ‘day to day' terminology is different. Component generally refers to YPbPr (USA) signals and RGB is usually UK Scart RGB.

Occasionally all this is built into display devices but for the majority of time it is not. Hence I recommend the JS box.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277