1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart-RGB to plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PeeWee, May 1, 2003.

1. PeeWee

PeeWee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Recently I bought a satellite receiver, of which I am using the composite signal now, into my plasma (MXE, including 5002 card).

Instead of this, to improve picture quality, I would like to use the RGB signal of the sat receiver, coming out of the scart, and feed this into the plasma rgb bnc connectors. The plasma can be set to rgb input. Simple, I thought, RGB to RGB. But no.

I made a simple scart adapter (which internally only brings out the red-green and blue signals and grounds to separate cinch connectors) and connect this via video cable to the r, g and b BNC connectors of the plasma. Unfortunately, this results in something like 'CAUTION OUT OF RANGE' message on the plasma. It must be something with syncing, I thought. But I can't make up what I should do to solve this is an elegant way.

Does anyone here have a working solution? Or do I really need some converter box to solve this?

Peter

2. peter350

peter350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    1. The sat box outputs rgb plus sync on composite video whereas the pioneer wants rgb plus h+v sync or combined sync or sync on green.
    2. You do need a converter, such as www.rgbtosvideo.com.

Regards Peter

3. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best Choice for MXE is

RGB to VGA converter from:

www.rgbtosvideo.com.

Better picture and less expensive than RGB to component
    converter from the same compagny

Ronald

4. PeeWee

PeeWee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ronald and Peter.
    I will buy such a device.
    Greetings,
    Peter

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For the Pionner MXE with 5002 video board you can go for the RGB to Plasma VGA unit.

If you did have a component video switching amplifier, then you might want to consider RGB to Component video as you could have all your audio and video switched via the one device.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

6. PeeWee

PeeWee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I am sure to order one of these boxes now. But which box is better? I am a bit confused: Some sources (like DJP's test in this forum) state that the Scart RGB to Component box gives better results, others say that the scart RGB to VGA is better.
    Who can convince me for one or the other?
    Peter

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Both are about the same, but Plasma VGA just has the edge on this one. It's just ever so slightly sharper - just slightly.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    D'oh, spot the realtime posting.
    Pee Wee,
    Symanksi (DR!) is the chap that makes the things and has stated before that RGB to VGA is, in the main, agreed as giving a slightly brighter image than RGB to component. There isn't a hell of a lot in it image-wise but the latter, as John sais, carries the convenience of being able to be rooted via a receiver along with other component sources - great for the lazy factor!
    I have had the RGB to VGA unit for near on a year now and can recommend it. Plus if the maker suggests using the cheaper method it has to speak volumes of the unit and his honesty. Just an opinion.

9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So if we just took the RGB signals from a scart and put the composite sync onto the green wire, put phonos on the three plugs it'd work?

10. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No.

The sync would have to be extracted from the compsite line and then added to the green. A better means is to extract the syncs from the composite to get the true H & V signals. I prefer to leave the Green alone, and pure.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

11. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My panel won't take BNC's though, so I'll have a go at making a cable by having scart at one end and 3 phonos at the other. I'll then put the comp sync in series with the green phono and see if it works.

EDIT: bugger I get you now, the sync isn't on a separate pin, it's on the composite video pin.:mad:

Cheers,
    Gaz

12. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Which is why I came up with how to interface RGB to Plasma screens :smashin:

And because I went the extra mile to fully understand the problem, I have one which has broadcast quality component and an on board computer for Macrovision compatibility. A unique combination, backed up with a built in power supply.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.