1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCART RGB to NEC VR5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nheather, Feb 2, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,549
    All my sources (DVD, Sky+ and FreeView) are SCART RGB.

If I get a Pany PW7 its clear that I will connect these with a Quintro+, then onto a JS RGB>VGA and then onto the Pany VGA socket.

If however, I go for the NEC VR5 I have a number of options. Although I could each source its own connection on the panel I still like the idea of the Quintro+, but with that decision made, what is the best way to connect to the VR5. I think I have three options

VGA (using JS RGB>VGA)
    Component (using JS RGB>Component)
    RGB with composite sync

The JS website advises against the VGA approach for all NEC displays and instead recommends the RGB>Component. See
    http://www.js-technology.com/produc...3665af4444125c1f1&products_id=33&page_index=3

However when I emailed JS about this I got a rather non-commital response similar to "if you are not getting a good result with RGBS then using the Component converter my improve things"

Has anyone tried it - a converter or stick to straight SCART?

One view is that for a little more money than the convertor I could replace my Pany E50 DVDR with an E55 and get Progressive Scan component on DVD. This would of course leave Sky+ and Freeview on straight SCART RGB.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. pajare

pajare
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I am using a Van Damme Red series scart to RGB +sync ( 4 BNC ) cable from NTL cable box, and the picture quality is excellent on my VM5. Dont know about the others you mention but DVi is also excellent fed from my Pioneer 868i DVD player via HDMi.

Regards ----Will

3. BALLISTIX

BALLISTIX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nheather, why would you want a JS converter? this is one of the bonuses with the NEC, it accepts RGBs on the BNC input (one of 3 component inputs) so not needed.
    Scart > RGBs cable as above will sort it.

Regards
    Andy

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,549
    Just my ignorance of what is needed for a good picture. It's based on the fact that everyone recommends using the VGA convertor with a Pany even if it has a SCART socket.

Cheers,

Nigel

5. BALLISTIX

BALLISTIX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotya, afaik people dislike the poorer/softer picture the panny scart board gives, to get around this you add a JS converter because it wont accept an RGBs input, whereas the NEC does.

Regards
    Andy

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    actually the panny will accept RGB+sync on the RGBHV board or D-sub it is just not often mentioned...................