1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart(rgb) To Component - Which Solution?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by cologne, Jul 1, 2005.

1. cologne

cologne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I have a satellite receiver with a Scart output which is labelled as "Scart RGB". I want to take advantage of the RGB and connect it to the component input of my projector. I think I have two options: A scart to component adaptor as the attached image and then component cable from the adaptor to the PJ or a cable with scart on one end to connect directly to the receiver and component plus video composite (the yellow) on the other (four jacks in total, red, blue, green and yellow), where the composite video signal -yellow- is used for the synch. Which is the best option? Does the adaptor in first case has to be one with external power etc? Any advice please?

Attached Files:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Cologne

I cant make out any details on the adapter you show - though it looks suspiciously like a passive box; most likely its outputting RGB not YUV.

RGB to YUV 'Component' involves number crunching and has to be done in an active converter - such as the JS Technology RGB2YUV converter.

If you have the option of RGB+Composite sync direct to the projector I'd go with that option as it eliminates any colour space conversion between RGB and YUV.

We usually supply a SCART to 4RCA cable using VanDamme Red Series Four core for this type of installation

Best regards

Joe

3. cologne

cologne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many many thxs for the quick reply Joe!
    If I am correct the cable you usually provide to your clients with similar requests is the following? (I copy from your website, I need a 10m one, I tweaked the price to comply with forum rules)

SCART24RCA-10 10m £x5.92 3-5 Days

And just to confirm, for correct transfer of the RGB to YUV I would need an active adaptor (one with power capability) which would provide also a loss of quality compared to the above solution?

Thxs again,
    Nicholas
    (Cologne)

4. cologne

cologne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,
    just noticed you "have a commercial interest" on both the Van Damme interconnect and the JS adapter, actually they are in your most desired list. Which solution you recommend of the two???
    Thxs,
    Nicholas

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Hello cologne

As you say we supply/support both VanDamme and JS Technology product ranges :)

If your Projector is compatible with RGB+Composite sync I'd go with that option - its a straight connection between the Output and the Input and avoids any unnecessary colour space conversion.

Some customers do go with the active RGB to YUV conversion as some Displays and Projectors offer you more colour control options on a YUV Input; have a look in the Projectors User Manual (that book we all stick back in the box; unread :)).

Best regards

Joe

6. Chaucer

Chaucer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Try the Kramer FC-15. It accepts RGB + Composite Video on a Scart, provides a looping output, and YUV and unbalanced stereo out. It is an active box, stripping the sync from the Composite on Scart, and putting it on the Y channel.

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/item.asp?desc=57

7. cologne

cologne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both!
    An engineer from Infocus told that my 4805 would not work with the adaptor. Did the test myself a couple of hours ago, tried the one in the picture above plus another one providing red blue green component plus video composite as well at the exit, with no luck. Will return the adaptors plus short component cable tomorrow.
    It looks the solution to go are the "active" converters. Checked local market, the Kramer here in Germany is 320 Euros :thumbsdow the JS from Joe significantly cheaper but still :oops:
    I am starting saving...
    Thxs again!

PS: would this converter definitely work???

By the way Joe, I am a manual freak!

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Hello cologne

Your Projector is YUV Compatible so yes either RGB to YUV converter will work.

The JS Technology boxes were conceived with the Consumer market in mind and are priced very competitively.

The Kramer converter is interesting if you require the RGB pass-through option - otherwise Chaucer has a hard job at hand to convince everyone to move away from JS Technology and incur the higher cost (mind you the FC-15 is not in my Kramer UK Trade Price list - which makes life even harder for Chaucer :)).

Best regards

Joe

9. steveparf

steveparf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Before you pull out 80ish notes on a converter, I too tried to connect RGB from Sky to the component on my 4805 projector via a Cypress converter, with no luck.

So i opted to buy a Panasonic DMRES10 DVD recorder for 180, and this does the job perfectly, just feed RGB in and send component out.

Maybe worth the extra 100 notes if you don`t already have a DVD recorder.

Hope this helps. :)

10. cologne

cologne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thxs steveparf. Funny, I was thinking the same and actually I was considering exactly the model you suggest! The recorder sends progressive signal to the pj? In this case, do you get Faroudja de-interlacing?

11. skylinedude

skylinedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi All,

I seem to have a similar problem.

Have a Yamaha DSP-AX620 Receiver, have a DVD player plugged into it via Coax, have a Video player plugged into it via Scart to L+R phono and svideo, also a freeview with the same connection. I have then got a SVideo connected to the Monitor out of the AX620 into a Scart adaptor and then into a normal CRT TV, picture is perfect and I can also use the amp to control each source.

Now, I purchased a NEC VT 59 Projector, when I remove the SVideo from the CRT TV and plug into the PJ without the adaptor I get black and white pic.

Called Yamaha and they I have something connected wrong, then they say that the amp cannot convert signals, since the scart to svideo cable is a pass through and not a conversion cable it will not work.

I then go out anf buy a RGB to 15W HD cable for the PJ, this time " NO SIGNAL ", call yamaha, they advise I need a Colour Space converter, what the heck is that and will it work, only have S-Video connection on the AMP or YUV apparently. PJ has SVIDEO and 15w HD etc.

I just want to get my new toy working thats all, lol, not tooooo much to ask.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mal