SCART RGB to Component RGB

A

alex_30252

Hi,
Planning to buy a scaler. I have seen that some component inputs accept RGB/S. How can I connect a SAT receiver with a SCART RGB output into component RGB?
Thank you for your help.

Some scaler accept RGBcvS that is RGB with composite sync. Products like the DVDO Iscan devices have a seperate socket beside their component RGB/YPrPb sockets for the sync signal. You would have a scart lead with 4 phono leads coming from it for RGBcomposite. The composite would plug in to that sync socket.

The Lumagen devices I distribute are similar except you tell the scaler in its set up to look at the composite input beside the component input for the sync. So in that case you'd plug RGB to Pr Y Pb socket and the composite to the neighbouring composite input.

Hope this is of use

Gordon

Thanks but still a little bit confused.
What is the difference between RGBS and RGBcvS ?
I'd like to go for the new iScan VP30. It says it takes RGB/S through the component device (3 sockets + 1 socket sync).
My sat receiver (pilotime from Canalsatellite) output RGB through the scart. I have no idea wether it is RGB or RGB/S. Does it make any difference for the scaler ?
If it is only RGB (without sync), should I look for a scart- S-video cable?
Thanks

RGB often has the horizontal (line) and vertical (field) sync pulses embedded into the green video signal. Then it's called RGsB.

I believe that scart RGB generally has the sync on the composite line (best use for it). That is called RGBS. Most scalers can accept that, if the sync line is connected to the composite video input, so you lose the use of that input, which is no loss. You have to get the sync right; otherwise you not see any video at all. (At least with component, the sync is always on Y)

Nick

I wouldn't consider using a scart to s-video cable if you are thinking of getting a VP30.

RGBS is RGB with seperate combined sync signal
RGBcvS is RGB with composite (cv) sync. ie the synchronisation timing is derived from the composite video signal.

They are not the same although you may find scaler manufacturers using the terms interchangeably...but you should always confirm with the supplier if RGBS inputs will work with an RGBcvS signal.

I have never seen a product with a scart socket that has sync on green. It's not part of the spec.

I agree with Nick that if a scaler has RGB in option then try to use it rather than s-video....although I use s-video for my SkyPlus box at home...doh!

Gordon

Thanks for your help.
Contacted my sat receiver supplier. He did not know whether the sync was on green or on composite or if there was any...Ah these French.
I guess I should go for the s-video or move to the UK. Will save me some sleep.
Thanks

If your sat receiver has an SCART output with RGB then the sync is on PIN19 (COMPOSITE VIDEO OUT).

Lumagen scalers will work with this signal as will DVDo using their sync input socket for the composite signal.

Gordon

That's what I am hopping for. That's a common standard? Or still a risk that the pin 19 does not carry any sync signal with RGB?

:hiya: Dear Alex,
If you are looking for high tech video components there is only one address: JS Technology www.js-technology.com
John Sim delivers the best quality that money can buy. They are a little bit expensive but more than worth it and the support / service is perfect. Myself I use the component video buffer and RGB (scart) to component converter. My TV and beamer are both connected to the component output through the video buffer. With the converter I connect the scart output of my Digital TV settop box to a component video input on my Home Cinema Receiver. This works really great. The picture of both TV en beamer is terrific.
Good luck and all the best,
Erwin (NL) :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom