SCART - RGB Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gary D, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i've recently bought a DMR-E50 :)clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ), which my digibox goes through. when i select RGB as the input and output (on the E50) all i get is a RED screen (not a block of red - just as though only the RED gun is firing.) The SCART that connects the E50 to the TV is RGB i'm sure of that. but i dont know if the the SCART from the skybox to the E50 is. Am i correct in that assumption? would an RGB SCART correct this problem? or is the machine faulty? (which i find difficult to believe) Oh, and the skybox is set to output RGB.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Gary

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    A picture like the one you describe is usually due to the scart cable not being fully into the socket. Check that all the cables are fully seated first. If that's not the problem it may be a faulty cable. If one of the cables was not fully wired I'd expect you to see a B&W picture, or even none at all.

3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    thanks philip, but i went all over that last night using as many scarts as i could find. i know that one of them is RGB as i used to use it on a DVD player (i now use componant) i went through the other 8 cables that i had but i got the same deal with all of them. When i select "Video" as the output in the E50 setup menu the colour comes back - when i select RGB it all turns red.

You see i've not had much call for SCART in recent years as my XBOX was on the RGB port and DVD player was on componant. but i've now shuffled the xbox down to standard SCART and the E50 on RGB.

I've got hold of an RGB SCART now, so i'll try it when i get home later. i'm pretty certain that it will be ok.

I'll post later with a yes or a no.

thanks

Gary

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The return of colour when you set it to video is almost certainly indicating the scart is only passing composite. a new fully wired cable should do the trick.