1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart RGB Output Splitting

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Dave A, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Dave A

Dave A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried to connect the scart RGB output from my Sky box to both my TV and projector. I did this by using a scart extended from Maplin, which converts the single RGB output into two. I then connected one scart from the extender into my TV and the other into a Keene scart to S-video converter to allow connection via the amp into the projector.

It all works but the picture on the TV is washed out and colours are very much reduced, although the picture is still sharp. I am assuming it is the Maplin extender losing some of the colour signal. I can't raise the colour level on the TV as this will adversely affect DVD and video playback. What do you think? Any ideas on a solution?

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Presumably this is something like AQ17T. If so this is definitely not the right way to share a video output. As far as I can see from their web site this is an entirely passive device which just parallels the sockets. If so you will be getting impedance mismatching which will cause reflections in the cable, it will also be double terminating the skybox giving a 6db level loss.

If the colour balance is OK then your TV is not set to use the RGB input. The cable impedance mismatch is probably causing subcarrier cancellation, which is giving your colour loss. If the luminance reflections aren't bothering you then the solution would be to make sure that your TV is using the RGB input and turn the contrast up to compensate for the level loss. The better solution would be to use a SCART distribution amplifier. Maplin and Keene sell them, but they are a bit pricey.

Bill

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Dave A

I'd suggest one of John Sims RGB2S-Video converters will do the trick - now in Version 2 the converter gives you an RGB pass through on SCART for your TV and a converted S-Video signal on SCART for your Projector (via your AV Amp in your case).

See http://www.js-technology.com/

Best regards

Joe

4. Dave A

Dave A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Both your responses seem spot on. Joe your link has confirmed I bought the wrong box from Keene. I guess now I either have to buy a powered scart expander or dump the Keene RGB to S-video box and buy the S Tech one.