1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCART RGB -> D-Type VGA converter

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tonmeistermat, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Themescene H30 comes with an adapter that converts the RGB SCART O/P of a (for example) DVD player into a D-Type VGA connector. Does anyone know if it is possible to get these adapters elswhere? And also are there any dissadvantages to using a standard PC type VGA switching box to alternate between inputs to the projector?

Ta!

Mat

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Qed do one as part of their Sqart range (About £150)
    However i know nothing about it just spotted it in their brochure WWW.QED.CO.UK

3. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks mate, will have a look!

4. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
  5. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That looks like the one! Thanks for that.

My understanding is that Optoma projectors have RGB on the VGA D-type, rather than VUW (or whatever the american standard for comonent is) which a lot of other projectors have due to being taylored for an american market. So it should work with any projector or plasma screen that has RGB component.The Qued one seems to be useable on any plasma screen or projector, but again provided that it is RGB.

6. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hence why I asked as my situation is very similar. I have a TX-100 projector, a PC that only has analogue D-type output, an Xbox and a Sky box with RGB output. I'd prefer to only have one lead from this lot as its over 5m away by the time you trunk the cabling around to the projector hence wondered if this kit plus VGA switch box might be a better option?

7. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My thoughts exactly... I've got two computers, a PS2 and a DVD player and I was planning exactly the same thing. I'm not sure how or if it will work, but it seems like the best plan... I don't want to take the risk of spending the cash on the bits and pieces only to find it doesn't work though...

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Woah there now. We've got a bit of a muddle going on here. First of all all of these techiques only work for RGB scart not s-video or composite video scarts. RGB scart is common in DVD players and Digiboxes but not analogue Sky/Cable and not VCR so make sure you have a device that outputs RGB before purchasing something you may not need or may not be able to use.

RGB in a scart socket exists as RGBs - Red, Green, Blue and a separate sync signal to combine the colours into an image. RGB as is commonly used for VGA (PC connections etc) is RGBHV - Red, Green, Blue and a sync seperated into Horizontal and Vertical syncs. So the two do not directly communicate.

Finally RGB video signals in scart sockets have a horizontal frequency of 15.625kHz. A PC signal is much higher than this so even if you did get an RGB to RGBHV converter your projector may still not work. THis is because the projector might only accept frequencies of 30kHz and upwards into it's VGA port since it only expects a PC to be connected! Confusing innit.

The QED thing is a sync separator so converts RGBs into RGBHV and nothing else. If your projector will accept a 15.625kHz signal then this will work. It is mainly intended for plasmas which almost all allow this now.

The Optoma dongle is simple an adaptor that reconnects the pins in a scart to the right pins in a VGA socket. All Optoma Themescene projectors can already do their own RGBs to RGBHV conversion so just need to recieve the raw RGBs signal (via the correct converter) and can do the rest themselves.

The Keene thing converts RGB into Component Video rather than RGBHV. This seems a good idea since Optoma projectors also accept component video in via the VGA socket. However it's actually a stupid idea because all that is required is a simple scart-VGA dongle, not conversion to component (not good for picture unless done well) and 80 quids worth of pointless connectors and converters.

So, in regards to switching. The theory of having a VGA switcher and your RGB devices converted to VGA is good (so long as the projector will accept these signals of course). However if you are doing this using a dongle like the Optoma one rather than a converter like the Q-Sync then you may have problems. When feeding a signal from a dongle most projectors need to by physically "told" in the menu system to take the RGBs signal and convert it to RGBHV. Now if the projector is set into this mode and you switch your switcher over to the PC the projector will be lost since it won't know what to do!

Neil - yours is an even more interesting one. The sync I mentioned earlier in an RGBs signal is actually the composite video signal too. The TX100 takes a similar approach to the Themescene in that it will do it's own conversion to RGBHV internally. However for the TX100 you need a scart to 4 RCA lead, with Red, Green, Blue and Composite video wired up. You then run this to your projector and in the setup menu set component video to RGB SCART mode! The TX100 also works with converters like the Q-Sync, but i'm not sure if it works with scart-vga adaptors like the Optoma one.

Right, that post has knackered me right out. I'm going home!!!

9. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Phew, thanks liam!!! All the questions I was trying to figure out how to ask (not knowing much about video stuff you see) but couldn't answered in one handy post! :) Thanks mate! Still not sure if it will all work though! LOL

10. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ps... liam, do you know where I can get hold of one of those SCART -> RGB VGA 'dongles'? I only ask because I'm thinking of getting the 56 (almost convinced) which doesn't seem to come with one and would like to use a PC style VGA cable to attach the DVD player. Alternatively, would you recomend S-video over a 20 meter run? That way we could plug the main PC into the VGA d-type, and the dvd player into the s-video hole. we could have a switcher between PCs presumably without any problems... any thoughts?

11. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi Liam, thanks the for info (and the projector :))
    I was aware of the RGBs method on the TX-100 but was wondering on keeping down the number of cables going to the projector hence seeing if routing all sources via the vga d-type connection was possible that's all.

What confused things is that whilst I posted the link to the optoma kit that wasn't actually what I was alluding to for my use, rather the approach the syncblasters use that's all. They appear to do ones that will convert RGsB to RGBHV (any other sync combo required). However as you said this only results in a 15.6khz video signal. It was this that I was wondering about on the TX-100 as does the D-type input support that low a refresh rate?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'll have to check the manual for that, it should list compatible frequencies and resolution, you will be offering it 720x576@15.625khz pal. If it will then any of the synch extractors will work, ie they will give you a picture, some better than others. this is one case where I'd actually recommend the synchblaster over Dr. Sim's box, having tried both on a variety of projectors. JS tech's box is specifically designed for plasma displays, and much prefers to be in their company. The synchblaster is quite signal fussy, some RGB scarts will not light it's fire, but when it works, it will likely be best on a PJ. They will all work with a VGA switch, I have this setup at home.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Tonmeisermat - I stand corrected. The H56 does not accept RGB using a scart-VGA dongle. So you'll need to go for a Syncblaster which'll do the job fine if not better (see Maw's post) than using JS etc. What I would advise is to send RGB video, via the syncblaster, into the VGA socket. And get yourself a VGA to DVI dongle (if you haven't got one already) and send the PC signal to the DVI-I socket since DVI-I is digital or analogue. Better than going SVHS on your video sources.

Neil - thought the name was familiar but couldn't help thinking Neil Watts (also a regular on this forum!). Hope PJ is up and running fantastically! Only running one lead isn't necassarily more useful when you consider there will be only the one set of calibrations for all your sources (which definitely won't be the same for PC and your other bits), and as before if you run PC and video into the VGA socket you will need to keep going into the setup menu to change from one to t'other when you change source!

14. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Liam, that's very helpful. Would it be a safe assumption to think that I could plug the DVD player, via the syncblaster, into the DVI-I dongle and then on into the DVI hole? Ta!

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I was thinking that and in theory it should work - but couldn't get through to Optoma to check and the phrase assumption being the mother of all cock ups does keep coming to mind!!!!

I'll check up with them when I'm out of meetings for you mate

16. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  17. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Liam,
    cheers for the info :)

Right looks like I am going for vga cable to the PC and RGBs cabling to the rest. The VGA cable is sorted as I have that already. The RGBs provides further choices though. Do I go Scart -> 4phono (RGBs) cable or is it better to run Component + Composite phono cables and use a Scart -> 4phono adapter like the ones at Keene?

18. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Using a Keene adaptor will mean more contact points for the signal to get through, but In the real world you may not see much difference and using the separate cables route means if you do change things round source wise you'll have a long component lead rather than a useless scart to 4 RCA one!!

Plus you'll have more cable manufacturers to choose from with the separate component and composite route!

19. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry Liam, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to video... you'll have to spell it out for me :lesson:

I've read back in the post and can't find any specifics about the Syncblaster... is that the QED box, or have I missunderstood?

20. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sorry mate - the SyncBlaster is Keenes RGB - RGBHV converter, a straight scart to VGA cable with the sync splicer hidden in the scart plug! www.syncblaster.com

21. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks mate... that clears that one up! :) so that should work with both the 56 and the 30...

22. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It should do, but with the H30 you have the adaptor so don't need to buy a SyncBlaster just need to buy a VGA lead.

Drop me an email if it's easier liam@progressive-av.com

23. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Liam! I think it's OK now, but if I have any more questions I'll drop you an email.

24. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Cool :smashin:

25. DomenicoIta

DomenicoIta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear liam,
    I've readed your posts on AV FORUMS:) U R a true expert!
    Excuse me for bad english.
    I've buyed an ACER PD112z video projector, but until now i'me not able to find on web info and reviews on this product.
    I'd like to connect it my XBOX through RGB scart.
    These are spec. of Acer:

Computer Input: • 1 HDB 15-Pin D-Sub (VGA/Component/HDTV input port) AV Input
    5-Pin VGA to component/HDTV, adapt

How can I connect my scart RGB (XBOX or dvd player) to VGA of Acer without loss of quality ?
    In your post (http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141081) you speak about many adapters and solutions. Which I've to use with my Acer for better quality??
    Thank U very much
    Sincerely
    Domenico Panacea
    Italy

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What we need to know is the HORIZONTAL SYNC FREQUENCY of your projector's VGA port. If it can manage at 15.625khz, things are simple. If not, there are solutions, just not so obvious. You might need to convert to component video rather than VGA.

27. DomenicoIta

DomenicoIta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MAW

These are the spec:

Horizontal Scan Rate:

15 ~ 70 kHz

Vertical Scan Rate:

45 ~ 85 Hz

Ciao from italy

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    OK scart to VGA is easy, with Keene synchblaster, QED make a similar 'active' cable, or JS RGB to VGA converter. This last is designed for plasma, and sometimes gives a dark image with projectors, this is the 1 instance where i don't suggest it 1st. You can certainly use a Scart to component converter equally, and for xbox, a hi def kit gives you component video for £30 uk, E45. This can be connected with the appropriate lead, 3 phono to 15pin. You might have to set this up in the projector menu, though many are autosensing. My NEC was. A few options then. Keene synchblaster is available at www.keene.co.uk I'm sure they'll ship to you.

29. DomenicoIta

DomenicoIta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks:)
    But what solution is better to obtain best quality of video?

30. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think hi def kit probably.