1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCART recomendations?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by anthonyb, Dec 11, 2002.

1. anthonyb

anthonyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I've been reading this group for a while now, but I don't recall seeing anything about scart lead recommendations...

My new FQ80 will be delivered tomorrow and I know it's crucial I connect my DVD (ns700) and SKY box to the tv's RGB scart sockets with good quality interconnects... Any recommendations or general advice?

Given that neither the DVD, SKY box or TV have gold sockets, is there any value in getting gold connectors on the scart lead?

Thanks in advance...

Anthony..
    PS - John Lewis' price matched the FQ80 at 1450ukp with HiSpek - no problems... :)

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've lost count of the number of SCART leads I've tried over the years but the two best I've come across are the Ecosse Armageddon and the Supra AV6. Both are RGB only (ie no audio passed through). If you're concerned about aesthetics also, the Supra is a little more liveable with.

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I love the QED Squarts... available as RGB with/without the sound channels..

Love the funky blue casing and they are built to last!

Matt

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    BTW...

Could u let me know how much the Ecosse RGB cable was... cannot find prices or piccies anywhere on the web!

thanks

Matt

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, the Armageddon is £71 for a 1m length. I got mine direct from Ecosse, athough be warned, they charge a whopping £12 delivery if the order is under £100 (ie, it's worth buying another cheaper cable at the same time).

6. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try contacting sevenoaks hi fi they are an authorised dealer of ecosse products. It seems that most places only stock ecosse audio interconnects only.
    do check out the Qed sqart as well you can get one for around 30-35 quid (rrp £50)

7. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    so how good is the Ecosse Armageddon ?.. worth £71 ?

Matt

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have £100 allocated to buy a SCART, it's excellent. If you only want to spend £50, it's not so good :)

Seriously though, performance wise it's the best I've seen other than the Supra. That's in comparison to cables ranging from the freebies, to the £10 Argos specials, £30 Profigold/Ixos and up to the QEDs and beyond.

I personally found the Ecosse to be the best in terms of detail and colour reproduction. I use a 36" CRT so can usually tell differences fairly easily.

In my view, as (if you get it right) you should only really be looking to buy one SCART per piece of kit, if you're happy to spend £30/£40, you may as well spend £70 and know you've got the best you're going to get at realistic money.

9. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Highly rated by What HiFi, superbly built, quite hansome, excellent value, and more than adequate performance for most. The THOR range, £30 from Maplin.

10. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have access to the CPC catalogue( similar to Rs ) they have some excellent scart cables various prices and not with the delaer mark up so some are more than half price.
    Generally try to buy a cable individually screened as well as overall. If you notice no differnce between cables ,try to buy with the option of return. As with all the cable market, its one big con and massive mark ups.

11. Ian Maurice

Ian Maurice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the best SCART leads ferrite screened for RF interference protection? I see that some of the more expesive ones are, but many very expensive one don't mention it. :confused: