1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart Quality - Real Difference ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Buckster, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Without the ability to really compare, would it be advisable/worth upgrading the Lektropacks :HCSL14 scart I'm using (fully wired, shielded) cost about 15 pounds, up to something like a QED Sqart or IXOS equivalent. I'm using RGB from a Pioneer 535 - Loewe Vitros.

I know its a bit of a noddy question, but wondered if anyone had really noticed a difference when they upgraded, otherwise it is 50 quid not well spent.

Cheers, Buckster

2. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I'm no expert but I replaced a couple of £3.99 scarts leads with 2 £15.00 ones and have noticed no difference what so ever.

3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a reasonable question Buckster - I know that whenever I spend a lot of money on an upgrade (if I'm honest) a part of me tries to convince myself that there was an improvement to justify the cost. I'm going through the same sort of thing over bi-wiring speaker cables at the moment. Apart from anything else because there is so much setup involved, it's difficult to do a direct back to back....

Simon

4. zippy

zippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the difference between leads can be subtle, but in general a better lead will be better! I have an IXOS scart and I would say that there definitely IS an improvement over a £15 lead. The edge definition is sharper and noise reduced. Audio transfer is noticibly better (although I don't use it!). Also, it is only 0.75m long and not 1.5m+ which is the norm. If your system allows a QED SQART is only 0.5m long and is highly rated (my next purchase?).

You may notice the difference more by looking at VHS material, as then the effects of the lead are more noticable due to the poorer quality signal. You might even find yourself watching a few old videos again!

I don't think I would buy a cheap lead again, although you don't have to go mad. Look at a hi-fi mag for the best recommendations, as these people live for quality. £30-£40 for scart, £20-£30 for audio (pair) or digital (single) will make a big difference in enjoyment - even if you don't realise it at first!

Zippy

5. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Thanks for all of your comments, I will probably go for one of the Sqarts, possibly the 0.5m but I have a feeling that may be just too short ....

Cheers,

Buckster.

6. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Measure it out then.......buy the shortest possible length as it will be a tiny bit better on quality. Spend as much as you can on a good scart cable. General rule 10% of what your tv/dvd costs.

If you buy a £2000 widescreen jobbie then you dont want to embarrass it by sticking in a £2 scart or even one of them crap lecktropak ones with gold spray paint on the ends. They are utter ****e.

Best Scart under £100 is Audioquest Type T4 = £70..or if thats a bit much then go for the QED 4110 at £50 ish...or the good old tried and trusted IXOS 126av at £30 ish

Remember the rule though....10% of your equipment costs.

Have phun !!

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Biggest difference I noticed with the QED Squart was the bright blue cable - had to hide it in black flexible trunking! :rolleyes:

To be quite honest, I bought it just for peace of mind - I know there won't be any cross-talk with any of the non-required wires if they're not there.

Cheers,
    Liam

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buckster .....i use the QED AV41 and it's a damn good lead, this is a Video only (RGB scart) and carries no audio, don't know if you own an amp.............. if not this lead will be no good.

9. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    So what makes a £50 scart better than a £10 or even £5 one.

Please don't say its better quality, exactly what is it.

If I bought a scart that had gold plated connectors and pins and where each wire was individually screened as well as the cable as a whole, then would you consider this to be a good quality lead?

Thanks

10. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Well, QED's explanation is here .

There's also a series of reviews here.

Cheers,
    Liam

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Are these high quality SCART leads worthwile if you have a manual SCART switch box between the DVD Player and TV?

12. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I know this may not follow the threads you've posted but I have a problem that you might be able to help me with.

I have just come back from the Sound & Vision event down in Bristol and whilst there I bought a QED Sqart 4110 (RGB Only). I tested it on my Pace NTL digibox and I didn't get any picture at all. I have plugged it into Scart 1 on my Toshiba 32ZD98 TV which I understand is the RGB slot. I have also thurned on RGB output on the digibox so I think everything is set up properly.

Any ideas on why I'm not getting a picture???? If I plug in my bog standard Vivanco scart the picture is fine.

Any suggestions most appreciated.

Cheers

13. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chiwan...is the sqart connected the right way round.There is an arrow on the actual lead.This should be pointing towards the TV.

14. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...........the QED 41 is directional unlike the fully wired scarts that non directional.

15. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damtom1

I have tried with the arrow pointing to the TV. What I have found is that the sqart will not seat properly in the scart socket if it is the wrong way round.

Have I bought a duff lead - it cost me £45 from the show!

Is there anything else I could try?

Cheers

16. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be a duff lead....try it on another dvd or video.

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Just my 2p worth and I am not a SCART fan but if you have to.:D

I am a fan of the good honest IXOX gold series stuff. Not silly £ either. The QEDs are fractionally different (better?) but for more money however if I wanted the best SCART I would buy the 138 IXOS SCARTs. £80 ish and the best I have seen. Great looking black and gold plugs with shinny green cable.