Scart price difference

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Monev, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Monev

Monev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase a DVD Recorder on-line; but the site I am looking at also sells "PROFIGOLD" scart leads at £24.99 each.
    As this is about three times the price of a normal scart lead I assume that there is some quality or performance issue.
    Is anyone aware of the difference and does it justify the higher price ?
    Monev.

2. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Not sure about the Profigold range, but I replaced all my cheapo scarts with expensive custom length IXOS scart cables and they made a world of difference. In my opinion it is always worth spending a bit extra getting good quality interconnects.

3. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi Monev

I bought some new scart leads gold plated ones ixos to connect my sky box to the TV and it did make a difference to the crappy ones you get in the box the picture was a lot sharper :thumbsup:
    If you got a DVD with RGB out and RGB in on your TV this will give you the best picture too :clap:

4. Monev

Monev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks geeWcee,
    Can you recommend a site where I can order the scarts you have.
    Monev.

5. Monev

Monev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks also to steve k
    Looks like ixos are the ones for me!
    monev.

6. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I always get mine made up at The Cable Shop Excellent service , fast deliveries and they will also make cables to any length for you. Only problem is they are closed till 10th January at the moment for new year hols :rolleyes: (and I have 2 cables currently on order....)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Personally I use QED cables - they seem to offer a good compromise between quality and price. I tend to order from HiFi Cables - I don't know how they fair in price but the cables normally turn up the next day.

8. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,936
    This old chestnut again!!!
    The gold plating on the scart plugs has nothing to do with the improved pic quality.........I don't know why they are pushing this feature......well no, I do know.....so they can con Gullable Joe Public :laugh:
    Do you know of any piece of equipment (Digital rcvr, AV Amp, DVDR etc) with corresponding gold plated scart sockets?........no they're all Nickel plated aren't they.
    The reason they improve the signal quality is because of their better construction, better materials, better screening between conductors etc......a good indication of the quality of a scart lead is, the thicker.the better....not whether it's gold plated or not!

9. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Monev, just for your info, these are the ones I use here: IXOS

10. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have both the QED 'SQART' cables and the THOR scart cables, both cost around £25-£30 and both are very good in terms of pq.
    The sqart type are flat which means that they have a tendancy to become unplugged if they get twisted sideways even slightly, which means they can be difficult to work with.

I would personally go for the THOR scarts as they seem just as good and sometimes Maplins have them on offer for £20 and as they are traditional round cables they fit more securely.

Don't bother spending more than about £30 cos unless you have VERY expensive kit then you won't notice the difference.
    I have found that the most important thing is to make sure all your input/output settings are correct (rgb or component if possible) and it can sometimes help to clip ferrite rings around your cables and put them as close to the bit of kit in question to help stop rf/emi noise. They only cost a few quid from maplins or RS, just make sure you get the right inner diameter size so that they completely 'snap' together.

even better!! play.com have THOR scarts for £17.99 delivered!!
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=ELEC&searchstring=thor&page=search&source=2901

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Another vote for Thor scarts great value for money. Especially @ £17.99 :)

12. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Agree with what Johnie said 100%

The QED one is difficult to work with but its a good cable and i have a few of them now.

13. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For info, Richer Sounds will price match the Thor scart, so quote the play.com price , so £17.99 instead of £30.

I have used thor throughout my set up and find them much better than the basic scarts.

14. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got the freebie scart leads at the moment, so I'm thinking of replacing them, how much difference would I see? (Only got a Panny 28" widescreen, from a 220 Pio and a Thomson digibox.)

Which should I go for Thor (£18 inc p&p) or TvCables - 1.5m metal body/gold connectors/indivudually screened OFC cable (£5.99ea / c.£7.50 inc p&p)?
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/SC004.html
    I was gonna get 2 or 3, so price difference is big, will the Thor be worth the extra?

15. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It can depend on many things: The kit you have, the cables you use, how much mains interference (rf/emi) you have, how and where you position your cables and how observant/obsessed/critical you are when it comes to viewing images on a screen!

That's probably why nobody wants to give you a definite answer, because it's difficult to say.
    As I said earlier, I personally wouldn't spend more than about £30 on a cable, if a cable is already basically of good quality construction and materials then spending much more won't have much effect.
    Whatever cable you buy, if you are already using the best inputs/outputs on your kit and your existing cable isn't totally crap, don't expect massive improvements.