scart power pin 8

chrisnasah

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am just wondering does anyone know if i can get my scart pin 8 to output 12v constantly?

I have a dm800 and i am trying to install a fan and because i need it to turn off when in standby am looking to power it from scart as i dont use it.

This works just about fine with a small fan but a bigger fan does not due to the low V am getting.

Any techies out there know anything on this?

Thanks

Are you actually trying to run the fan from the scart socket or just use the signal from pin 8 to switch it on , getting power from elsewhere ?

There is only a few milliamps available on pin 8 , the average is 2ma , the absolute most is 5ma , this is certainly not enough to power and run a big fan.

ah ok that makes sense than, if that is the case i can get power from somewhere else which is always on constant, is there anything i can use to make it come on when scart pin 8 comes live?

although i saw this on wiki:

Pin 8, the switch signal pin, carries a DC voltage from the source that indicates the type of video present.

0 V–2 V means no signal, or internal bypass
4.5 V–7 V (nominal 6 V) means a widescreen (16:9) signal
9.5 V–12 V (nominal 12 V) means a normal (4:3) signal

The Wiki is correct - but it doesn't indicate what Andy correctly pointed out - very little current available.
The voltage could be used to control a small relay - but you still still need a higher power voltage source for a fan.

google for dm800 fan control, i have seen same name plugin what means there must be some place where you can have changeable voltage power

Why not use one of the USB ports? These can deliver up to 500mA, though only at 5V, so it won't run as fast. There are videos on YouTube showing how to wire these (though it's pretty simple - you just need half a USB cable and two of the four wires). You'd need to check that the USB is powered down in Standby - I'd expect it is on most boxes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom