Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

SCART out to SVideo in?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by martincooper, Mar 8, 2004.

1. martincooper

martincooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a new portable TV and Video sender for the kitchen and doh! the Sender has only scart out and the TV has only Cr/Cb/Y, S-Video and Video(RCA) in. I know I should have checked but what new tellys don't have 1 SCART these days!
    Anyway, all is not lost methinks as I have an S-Video/twin RCA Phono to SCART cable. But no joy - no sound, no picture. Nowt. I know the cable works, 'cos I nicked off the DVD and I tried another telly with a working S-Video. Why doesn't it work ? Could the cable be directional - works from S-Video Output, to scart Input but not from SCART to S-Video ? Do I just need the correct cable(the SCART plug does only have a few pins present) or is this never going to work ?
    Mart

2. martincooper

martincooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked on the Keene Website and they sell 2 types of scart to S-Video cable - into scart and out of scart, so I assume I need the other cable...

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    Senders don't do S-video, only composite. There's yer problem ;)

Mike.

4. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike's right, video senders only send composite video, use a scart adapter and a video coax lead.

PM me if you want some prices.

Regards,
    Andy.

5. martincooper

martincooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    video coax lead ? Do you mean the ordinary three phono type RCA plugs, yellow for video, red and white for Phono ?
    I have one of these and a scart to 3 RCA converter plug, so I have ben able to physicaly connect the two using this, but got no picture or sound. I assume this is because the scart is wired "In" when I need "Out".
    I also since tried a scart to S-Video wired in the correct direction and got sound and a black and white picture. I guess this is because, as you say the sender isn't sending S-Video.
    I think I have every combination of cable possible, except the one that works ! Looks like it's off to Maplins again...

6. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason you get a black and white picture is because the luminance component of the s-video signal uses the same pins of the scart connector that composite video uses. You are missing the second component, the chroma which the sender does not pass.

If you use a switched scart adapter you can choose either direction with the switch, they are £3.50 each. PM me for details.

Regards,
    Andy.