1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart or S Video?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Endymion, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Endymion

Endymion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope to get a Pioneer PDP436XDE in the near future to use with my 3805, 2910 and Sky+.
    Could anyone comment on the picture quality I may get from the Sky+ box?
    I am thinking of S Video out, into the 3805 and upconvert back into the 436XDE's media box through component cables. Would I get as good a picture using an RGB scart from Sky+ box to media box direct?

Thanks in advance.

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Haven't compared them myself, but I would expect RGB scart to give a better picture.

A few people on here use the JS Tech RGB to component converters and feed a component signal into their amps for switching rather than the S-video, so there must be some benefit to going this route.

3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    The SCART RGB signal from the Sky box should be higher quality than the S-Video, assuming both have been implemented properly. Therefore, the best quality will be running the RGB SCART straight into the display, bypassing the amp. S-Video upconverted to component by the amp should definitely be worse than raw RGB. (It certainly looks less sharp than RGB on my system.)

I'm not sure how much of the advantage of RGB would be thrown away by the additional circuitry required to convert RGB to component so it can be switched by the amp - as with audio, additional circuitry in the video signal path is generally regarded as A Bad Thing. The converted component signal is never going to be better than the original RGB, and may well be worse.

I run RGB SCART straight into my display and bypass the 3805 altogether, which gives the cleanest signal path - I also have an S-VHS cable going into the amp and component outs connected to the screen so I can still see the DVD picture while using the amp's OSD.

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,889