Scart or is S-Video good enuf ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by stevebez, Jan 7, 2005.

1. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Got SKY+ hooked up via digital toslink for audio and S-Video for ... video.

All say SCART / RGB / Component it better picture, agreed - however how much better is SCART over S-Video ???

Is it worth spending £100 for a SCART -> Component convertor?

Rgds Steve

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    RGB from scart is said to be marginally better than s-video, but in my opinion it's a close call. You won't gain much by converting scart to component, because the convertor won't improve the signal - it will only convert it to a different format.

3. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I'd say RGB offers a clear improvement over s-video by providing noticeably better colour rendition and sharper images.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280

As a generall rule yes, but some display devices actually cope better with an svideo signal instead of rgb.My old sony kv35fs76u always seemed to be better at dealing with an svideo feed that an RGB one. The panasonic pd30 is also a CRT televison that comes to mind when talking about svideo being better than RGB. That tv has componenet inputs as well though, so i would always use componnet if avalable anyway.

5. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without meaning to doubt what you say, I can't imagine how a CRT can offer a superior picture using s-video over RGB, since any signal fed to the TV must be converted to RGB to drive the tube, including component.

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    i have to agree in relation to not being much difference between s-video and rgb on certain equipment.. my sony 32" fq86 handles s video much better than rgb for some strange reason... some posts suggest that tv's convert the signal to s video for 100 hrtz processing and then back to rgb for display? dont know if this makes much sense...

7. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280

There were many issues regarding the quality of the rgb scart connection on the panasonic pd30 range, with visable lines of interference on the picture. I had one of these my self and it was one of the reasons i sent it back. There is a whole thread on these forums regarding the pd30s faults and problems. When fed an svideo signal and componenet signal theses lines were not visable. I know it is not my equipment as other people also reported this. This is what I mean when I say the tv dealt with the signal better. You are right in saying that rgb should be better, but in this case, it was not.
    I also owened a sony kvs6fs76u. Connected to a good dvd source and through RGB on sky digital there was a ghosting effect that was aparent that is very difficult to describe. If some one moved there arm against a white background there would be a visible ghosting effect that would take the shape of a line which would follow the arm :confused: ( Like I said difficult to explain :) ) With svideo and composite signals :eek: the picture did not have this problem. I tried varioius different cables( all top quality) but it did not improvre the rgb feed. Again this is why I say that there are some instances that CRT televisons will cope better with svideo than rgb. I have no doubt that RGB is the better source, but the crt hardware in the televison is not always up to the job. This is not saying that all FS76U televisons have this problem or pd30s it is just luck of the draw.
    ( I did not mean every televison :D )

8. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Same here, my old 28" CRT Sony was much better when viewed by S-video...

9. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see. Tho' it still baffles me that, even with all the years of experience manufacturers like Panasonic have gained building CRTs, they can still get it so wrong.

All this digital picture processing malarky has much to answer for. :)

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some TV's don't have CRT's. Some are plasma. Some are DLP. Some are LCD. All require further processing of the signal, whether it be RGB or s-video.

11. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that, Nick_UK. I specifically mentioned CRTs as I was responding to a post that listed CRT sets.

The fact remains that RGB is technically superior to s-video, regardless of an individual display's ability to render a decent image from the input format.

And although the display types you mention do not use CRTs, they do all utimately require RGB data in order to set the appropriate brightnesses of their red, green and blue sub-pixels.

12. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Seems concensus here is not that clear.

I propose feeding the signal into a Panasonic PWD42D5 in the lounge and via a component video amplifier to the bedroom to a panasonic TH37PWD7.

The D5 has a fabulous picture in prog scan and from DVD. The picture from SKY+ is reasonable via S-Video but not up to DVD quality (no prog scan for one, and some shoddy source signal on some channels).

It would be great to get a SKY+ unit broadtcasting prog scan ??? Then Component / RGB output would be a necessity.

Rgds Steve :clap:

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some Sky+ channels approach DVD quality - the movie channels. With Sky, the picture quality depends on the bit rate chosen by that particular broadcaster - Sky take no part in the uplinking of non-Sky channels. Also, the "garbage in, garbage out" rule applies.

Watch out for the new hi-def Sky services promised for next year, although the quantity and types of material available has not been made clear.

14. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mmmm - you think they would have SCART, component outputs or a HDMI output ?

Rgds Steve.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You won't get HD from a scart, so some sort of digital output will have to be there. However, I would not be at all surprised if the SkyHD box didn't downscale to scart and/or s-video.