Scart or HDMI converter?

Riva T

Novice Member
Reaction score
Advise please: Scart or HDMI converter?

I need a new DVD/Blu Ray player and recorder. My house came with a preinstalled multi media system, which includes tuners and a media server. The system is located in a central cupboard, which is where my current Panasonic (DMR-EX 95V) DVD player is. The output cables from my current DVD are green, red and blue (Component) and yellow red and white (Composite). The cables from the DVD plug into controllers located in the cupboard, rather than directly into the TV. I have been told that I need to buy a DVD with a Scart cable and that I will need a Scart splitter plus a Scart to Component converter as well as a Scart to Composite Converter. DVDs with Scart ports seem to be increasingly hard to find as most now have HDMI or newer technology. I have 2 questions (and very little understanding):

1) Will the Scart option described above work and which would be the best products to buy?

2) There is far more choice of DVD players and recorders which have an HDMI port. Could I buy an HDMI splitter plus HDMI Component converter and HDMI Composite converter to plug my cables into? I have read mixed reviews of how well HDMI splitters will work, especially given the complexity of the set up I have described. Again, which would be the best products if this were an option?

It would obviously be very expensive and disruptive to replace the entire system, which is another option, so any help you can give would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

There are scart to HDMI converters on the net and some older Blu-ray/DVD players did have scart but none seem to be sold new, you might find some on eBay?

Do you have the funds to update the system? You've said it would be expensive and disruptive but it would seem a shame to buy new equipment and fit it into an old setup that won't cope with the modern HD etc.

Thanks Greg. I may need to go down the updating route eventually, but was hoping to avoid for a couple more years. Think replacement will be very expensive,given there are controllers in every room, etc.

OK, I guess you might have to stay SD for a bit longer than with Scart.

There are tons of scart to HDMI convertors on eBay for around £30-£40, no idea how good they are of course.

I've had a good look now and can't find any Blu-ray players with scart.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom