Scart or composite - which is best quality?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Saxon, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Saxon

Saxon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I have a JVC video recorder with only Scart sockets and I want to couple it to my Panasonic DRM-EH50 DVD recorder. Which will be the best option to couple them to copy old tapes over?

Scart to Scart - which is inconvenient because both Scart sockets on the DVD recorder are already taken so I'd have to unplug the Scart connector from the NTL cable box to the Panny DVD recorder to free up a Scart slot.

Scart to composite (3 RCA phono - yellow, red, white) which means I could plug into the RCA phono and composite sockets on the front or back of the panny.

I guess I could even go via the Yamaha AV amp which doesn't have Scart at all but could do all the signal switching then. This would mean Scart to composite between the VCR and the Yamaha AX750se and then a composite to composite between the Yamaha and the DVD recorder.

Is there any significant difference in quality between these methods?

It's driving me round the bend wondering how best to do this!!

Thanks,

Saxon

2. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Scart is only a connection method which can support three interface types, composite, s-video or RGB. Your VCR will only output composite video (unless it's an S-VHS machine) so there is no difference whether you connect via scart or separate (red,yellow,white) cables. You will be using composite video either way.

3. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on the source. Theoretically, the connection rating is:

RGB is better than S-Video,

S-Video is better than Composite.

If your source is outputting S-Video, you should use Scart or S-Video cable. If your source outputting RGB, you should use Scart cable. Of course, if you have VHS deck, cable type doesn't matter because output from VHS is composite signal only. But, if you have S-VHS deck, you should use S-Video or Scart for providing better quality. I have compared singals from the same source using S-Video and Composite, and S-Video connection provided sharper picture than Composite. This difference is noticable on a small text.

ArtS :cool: