1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCART or Composite to Projector ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by organica, Mar 24, 2005.

1. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi -

I'm just about to buy my first :smashin: projector (a BenQ PB6200) and I'm wondering what cabling to get. Basic question is this - the BenQ has a VGA / HD15 type socket which can take a component signal. My DVD player (Ronin DVD-215) has no component outs - it has yellow phono composite, S-video, and coax.

However it also has a SCART. Am I likely to get a better picture if I get a cable along the lines of these ones (bottom of the page) :
    http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/searchxx.pl?11lea,RGB,15
    to run from the DVD's SCART output to the projector's VGA input?

Cheers -

Gordon k

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    It depends what the scart can output - if it outputs RGB and the pj will accept the RGB signal, then that's what I would choose. Check the DVD players set-up menus and see what can be sent out. You might be able to select the output you want.

After that S-Video should be the next best image, but if you can, try a comparison to see what looks better to you. Sometimes s-video and composite (the yellow phono) can look much the same, though if properly implemented, s-video should be noticably better.

Gary.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Never heard that one Gary, all the info I've ever seen states s-vid is always better - something about the luminescence being handled separately?

I use both s-vid and component and though the component is superior the s-vid isn't too shabby...PJ :)

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I've read a couple of reviews that some machines output an inferior s-video signal that's no better than the composite, so although there should be more bandwidth available (chrominence and luminence being seperate as you say), the application left something to be desired.

I can't remember what the reviews were of, but I was as surprised as you to read it.

Gary.

5. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Out of interest why the 6200? 4:3 and not a 16:9 projector?

6. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info on that - I'll check the output options on the DVD player menu - and then post again when I get confused by the difference between RGB and YPbPr (which I had kind of hoped to pass over in ignorance :eek: )

As regards getting a 4:3 instead of a 16:9 - several reasons, one of which is that I plan to take the pj out-&-about to show work at various venues, so I need a higher lumen output. But when I actually counted up, I found that about 75% of the material I have or am planning to buy is actually in 4:3 - I'm into stuff like Jean Cocteau, Eisenstein, Tarkovsky, most of which was shot in 1.33:1 or 1.37:1, & so fits v neatly on a 4:3 DVD. And then there's classic TV stuff, and XGA output from my computer.

My only regret is that real widescreen films like Solyaris or Last Year at Marienbad (i.e. 2.35:1) may look a bit messy: we shall see...

Gordon k

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Go for the Scart lead. Having said that. For double that money you could get a Tosh SD340 from amazon (second hand) that will give you a lovely picture over component. Worth thinking about.

8. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it appens, the SD340 is already in my thoughts, cos I want to get a player for home use, and keep the Ronin for gigs. I'm planning to use the 215 in the flat for a couple of weeks first, and hopefully that'll give me a better idea of what features etc I want in my other machine. But the Toshiba looks v good at the moment - prog scan & DivX too...

I was checking out yr tweaking thread yesterday - is it an SD340 you're using with your 6100?

g k