1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart or Component to Plasma and Audio Quality

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by paulec, May 19, 2005.

1. paulec

paulec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Trawled the forums for similar threads so apologies if there's been any duplication - I am getting conflicting advice from retailers.

Buying a Panasonic PWD7 / ES10 recorder (or similar) to fit in with existing Yamaha DSP-A2 amp, VHS and Sky+. The speakers / sub are Ruark Vita.

I cannot get a straight (consistent) answer on how to connect the video and the pros and cons and the difference on audio cable quality.

• Audio connect (I think) is obvious in that the amp will take optical digital input from DVD & Sky+ but is it worth spending extra (say £25 - 30) on better optical cables? Is there a difference?
    • What about the sub - got a cheap phono cable at the moment but will replace with a decent one but need it to be 6m or so - any recommendations?
    • Whilst the option from Sky is limited to Scart should this go through the DVD or directly to a Scart board on the Panel?
    • Should the DVD be connected via component or scart - some have said that there is no difference? Any thoughts - and what should I be spending on the cables?

Would appreciate any guidance on the set up and cabling before I buy the terminal boards and cabling.
    Paul :confused:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Hello paulc

Its was far easier when we only had RF aerial cables :)

01. SKY+ to Plasma - the SCART Output on your Digibox has the option of outputting RGB and I'd use that as your best Video signal.

02. SKY+ to DVD-Recorder - two options:
    02.1. S-Video direct to the recorder; this works well and though technically not as good as RGB its pretty close and more than good enough for making recordings I find.

02.2 Split the SCART RGB Output from the Digibox using a JS Technology 1:2 Active Video Buffer to get RGB to both the Plasma Display and DVD-Recorder.

03. DVD-Recorder to Plasma - RGB and YUV are pretty similar; though the YUV Output is usually 'softer' as the DVD-Recorder is converting RGB to YUV internally. For simplicity I think YUV may be the best Option.

04. SKY+ and DVD-Recorder to the Plasma (now the fun bit) - as your AV Receiver lacks YUV or RGB switching you need to get creative or install multiple Input Boards into the Display (handy if you want Picture in Picture modes).

Many customers ask us for a simple system with not too many button pushes to swap inputs!

A tried and tested solution is to install 1 x TY-42TM6AB (YUV) Board in the Display and use a YUV switcher to pre select which Video source you want to view.

You can have a 4:1 YUV switcher with IR control (programmed to switch Video sources automatically when you select a new Audio source on the AV Receiver - this will cost around £220.00) or you can have a 2:1 Automatic switcher that will switch source if you put one sources into standby (this will cost around £50.00).

To make this all work you will also require 1 x RGB to YUV converter to convert the RGB output from the Digibox to YUV - some will say why not do this by daisy chaining the Digibox via the DVD-Recorder (perfectly feasible); if the number of calls I get from folk who have tried this is anything to go by then the image tends to look way too soft via many of the Panasonic DVD-Recorders and whilst its OK for making a recording its a pain if SKY makes up the bulk of your viewing.

There are alternative ways of connecting all this together - its a case of outlining your operational and viewing priorities and arrive at the solution that best suits you.

Another option is to employ an external Video Processor to bring all of your Video sources together and Output one 'Optimised' signal via DVI to your Display - this will cost approx £1k by the time you buy the hardware and cables.

Digital Optical cables (Toslink) - most cables are Plastic Optical Fibre (POF) and most produce similar results I find; if you want better you have to look for a 'Glass' Optical cable and these do tend to cost a fair bit more cash.

A VanDamme POF Toslink cable is sub £20.00 and you'd be hard pushed to better it for less than £80.00.

Best regards

Joe

3. paulec

paulec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wow - thanks for the help, just to confirm I have understood you correctly. I can spend 1k extra on an external video processor, turn the whole shower into a mass of wires and switching boxes, or daisy chain via scart from the digibox - recorder - panel (but with poorer PQ)?

My primary viewing is Sky+ (one reason why I would want to avoid HD at the moment - but that's a hole different debate). Is a valid option therefore:

- Buy a YUV Board and a Scart Board for the panel
    - Buy a decent scart lead, S-Video lead and component lead and 2 POF cables
    - Connect the Digibox to the Plasma via the RGB Scart
    - Connect the Digibox to DVD Recorder with the S-Vid
    - Connect the DVD Recorder to the panel YUV board
    - Connect the DVD Rec and Sky+ to the AV amp via the POF cables

What about my VHS - Could I not just combine the lot using a Joytech AV Control centre or something like that and have one RGB scart out to the plasma - Seems a lot less involved / expensive than the component switcher?

Really appreciate the help
    paul