SCART n-way switcher??

Londonman

Standard Member
I have two SCART inputs on my plasma screen. I have three external devices - TiVo, a Humax and a Sony DVD/Freeview/HDD recorder. The TiVo and Humax both have two SCART outputs each.

So, in an ideal world, I would like to be able to switch any of the three external devices to the TV for viewing and also be able to route either TiVo or Humax to the Sony for recording to DVD.

Two separate SCART switches will do the business as far as I can see but just wondered if there existed an n-way SCART switch?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Do any of the items TiVo, a Humax and a Sony DVD/Freeview/HDD recorder have a component output on them to connect to the TV. This will save using poor Scart switch boxes.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Londonman

Unless you have a 'Matrix' Switch (any Input to Any output) there are always going to be limitations in terms of simultaneous viewing/recording of different Sources if you only employ a Switch.

Most devices that have Two SCART Sockets have one Socket that can be used as a Passthru socket to enable you to connect multiple devices in a Daisy chain - when you put the Passthru device into Standby you can view the Device that is attached to the Passthru socket.

Rather than a Switch I think you may be better served with a JS Technology 1x2 SCART 'Splitter' - http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=51&osCsid=ac8e71649d52f31f4c97f310836f40d3

Add the Splitter to the Output of the Humax - take Output A from the Splitter to the Passthru Input on the Tivo.

Take Output B from the Splitter to the Second Input on the TV.

Take the Output from the Tivo to the DVD-R.

Take the Output from the DVD-R to the First Input on the TV.

That way you can view the Humax (On Input 2 of the TV) whilst simultaneously recording Tivo or the Humax to the DVD-R - all you need to do is switch between Input 1 and 2 on the TV to monitor what your doing on the DVD-R.

Joe

Londonman

Standard Member
Thanks guys for the excellent advice.

Andy...I'm not sure that they all have component outputs so that might not be an option.

Joe...certainly food for thought..if I can get my head around which is feeding which! It will certainly confuse the hell out of SWMBO...:devil:

On second thoughts, I think I'd better leave AV1 as the channel for TiVo (which she uses) well alone ...

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Londonman

Drop me a note if you want a hand working out your best plan - Tivo to AV1 ought not to be a problem.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom