1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart loopthrough or direct connect?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Vodder, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On Sony's website they have PDFs that you can download showing the best way to connect your AV equipment (not the actual connectors, hence my other thread).

It says the best way is to connect everything with scart leads, using the secondary or loopthrough on all devices like VCR, DVD and sat box.

However my local hi-fi store says the best way is to connect them all direct to the TV spearately if you have enough scarts as only the DVD will benefit from the RGB scart. My freeview box looks a lot better on RGB than on "normal scart", so is loopthough the best way to keep this, or am I missing something?

Cheers.

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah the loopthrough doesn't normally retain RGB anyway so you'd still lose the RGB

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVDs will often retain RGB with loop through so if you have two scarts on that, you will benefit.

Personally, i would go with the RGB in the freeview and s-video with the DVD player (assuming you cant do loop through) on the basis that you will almost certainly be watching freeview more.