1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart Leads

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PaulBrum, Apr 22, 2003.

1. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dunno if this is is the right forum, so moderators please feel free to move.

I have a Sony FQ70 and Davs550 on the way (due later this week). I will be connecting them to a Sky Digital box and a Sony Video.

I have some old Scart leads i can re-use, but have been reading that gold plated scarts will improve performance.

I've seen some of the scart leads talked about retailing at about £30 - £40 which seems like a lot of money for some leads (i know the purists amongst you will be gasping at the last comment!!)

I've seen 'gold plated' scarts on ebay for between 5 and 15 quid.

Can anybody out there give me any advice on what i should be looking at getting ??????

Paul

2. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I went through exactly the same problem as you a little while back. It's not just gold-palted you want but individually screen connectors and oxygen free as well - I know it all sound slike jargon but definitely improves the picture and if you want RGb output you ahve to have decent scarts. The main contedors in my eyes are QED, IXOS, monster and last, but by no means least Thor. These got excellent reviews and I can vouch for them personally. Buy them from here as they are half price: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TR26481T.html

Hope this helps!
    :D

P.S. Just use your existing cables for the VCR as it isn't really worth shelling out too much for this.

3. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings PaulBrum:

If you going to spend serious money, like you should to make the most of your setup:D, i can recomend the SQUART range from QED
    I own 2 of these suckers and they deliver the goods. Just remember the "fully wired" carries sound but the "RGB Special Edition" doesn´t.

The recomendations by my experience are:
    1. QED SQUART - Very expensive - Top notch performance - Gorgeous Looks!
    http://www.qed.co.uk
    2. IXOS - Medium Expensive - Very Good performance - Ugly as a dwarf butt if i ever saw one:eek: ;
    http://www.ixos.co.uk/interconnects/index.html
    3. Profigold - Very good performance for the money - (if you want to buy a budget one consider these - they are great for the price) :smashin:

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would get leads for less than £20 from Asda or equivalent - there is no need to pay a fortune for leads for average domestic equipment - and don't believe anyone who says you must!

Good screening is important though...

5. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Chaps - i might go for the THOR scarts, they seem a reasonable price (and they look smart too!!)

Having looked at the set-up diagram on the sony website, i have the following queries:

1. the diagram mentions a 'scart lead - 2 way' between TV scart 2 and VCR out, what is the 2 way business? will an ordinary scart do this.

2. The Davs550 has no scart, i will therefore have to use an S-Video connection, the wiring diagram shows 2 connections from the dav to the TV, 1st - S-Video to S-Video, 2nd dav Video out to the spare TV Scart 3. Do i connect both of these, or will one do (what about S-Video to Scart?)

3. Why is this all so bloody complicated?????

Looking forward to some clarity :)

Paul

6. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Agree with Jim... screening is a must.... get some half decent leads with adequate individual screening for audio and video....

Good leads do make a difference but there's a point where you're paying a lot for minimal returns. Equipment choice also makes a difference... a Matsui video won't merit a £40 scart lead conversely a £1000 TV merits something better than a £4.99 argus scart lead.

Of course inside the TV the connections from the scart socket are thin little strips on the circuit board.... I wonder if they're OFC and 99.999% pure?

;)

7. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My set up is as follows
    AV1 - Sky+ connection QED Squart RGB Scart
    AV2 - Playstation IXoS PS2 Scart (RGB) I would use this for video with a good quality Scart set to RGB (as long as video supports)
    AV3 - DAVS-550 IXOS S-VHS - Scart

This keeps the front of the tv clutter free except for Digital video camera

AV1 & AV2 are set for RGB so ensure they are used for RGB compatible equipment
    AV3 is non RGB hence DVD through that.

Would agree with FCP fan with reviews me personallt Ixos & QED way to go although good reports on Thor and Monster(!!!??)

At the end of the day it is down to your budget and insistance on picture clarity - if I showed the difference to my mother she probably couldn't see it!!!yet i can see straight away.

Hope this helps

8. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bob, cheers matey

On the davs 550 to tv (AV3) issue, presumably your s-video to scart cable plugs into the s-video out on the davs unit, and the video out is left well alone?

what leads does the davs550 or the FQ70 come with (if any) ????

Just wondering if i need to pick these up pdq, or whether i can wait

Paul

9. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    no leads with fq70 apart from plug

davs550 comes with av plugs with scart adapter.

leave video out well alone with this setup

10. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi mate, i used a QED squart svhs to scart for linking my DAV to my FQ75, it works a treat :)

got a thor scart from TV to Sky as well.

both give ace results. hope that helps :smashin:

11. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify the "two way" reference...

This means a fully wired SCART lead with all 21 pins connected and not - as is supplied with some VCRS - only the composite and audio pins wired.

This is to allow picture and sound information to pass both ways and for switching and loop through purposes.

12. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, so got the scart lead issue cleared and S-Vhs to scart, what about leads to connect my digibox to the davs 550 system to give me surround sound whilst watching sky channels, presumably phono leads between audio out on the digibox to video 1 on the davs unit - anyone recommend some good leads?

Also, i dont suppose i'll need to video link the digibox to davs unit - just audio ?

Help would be appreciated

Paul