1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart leads make a difference?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by big-mac-please, Aug 28, 2005.

1. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello all :)

To day I got myself an LG 32LX2R and I think I may need a better scart cable.

When I watch DVDs with a scart that has gold plugs the picture is FANTASTIC! When I watch sky with a scart thats just normal el chepo mot channels lok great but MTV seems to offten be slightly blocky? There maybe a techincal term for that.

DO you think a better scart would make any difference? In comet they were given it all the talk about there £50 cables better is there a more affordable alternative?

Thanx for any help!
    BigMac :hiya:

2. chowells

chowells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm... try the scart cable with gold plugs with Sky and see what difference it makes?

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    lol, it ain't the quality of the cable when comparing dvd and sky, it's the quality of the broadcast signal mate!!
    well worth sticking the better scart on the sky anyway and going for component progressive scan with the dvd player - might mean a new dvd player tho :(

4. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    If the TV don't have gold plated scart socket then what is the point of using gold plated scart lead?

BTW, I am not saying there isn't any point, I merely ask if there is any.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    so you think SCART leads cause artifacts?

6. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think gold-plating connectors and then plugging them into tin-plated receptacles is a waste. It might even cause more problems over time than using standard connectors.
    (this issue has been known in PC memory where one also needs to match the plating with the connector on the motherboard, not with the idea of quality.

However, there sure is difference between the quality of the actual cable used in SCART cables.
    You have individually-screened leads for the video and audio signals. Cheaper cables have one bundle of similar wires for all pins, going through a single shielding braid.

Of course a bad scart cable never causes "blocking". That is an MPEG artifact that can only occur at the digital level. Usually caused by severe bit-errors or too low bitrates used by the provider. As the SCART cable does not transport this signal, it cannot cause this effect.

7. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello and thank you for the replys :D

The DVD player picture is great how it is now to be honest so I don't think I will change that!

I wasn't sure what caused the squares so thats why I asked. Thanx for letting me know, I think I will try a better scart lead and see how I get on.

Thanx for the help gents! :thumbsup:

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    A waste of money BMP. The SCART cable you already have, plug it into the Sky box and see if you can truely see any difference. If not, then you've just saved £50.
    Does your DVD player have 3 RCA sockets coloured red, green, blue? If so, then it has component output, which is progressive, not interlaced. This type of connection would be the best for you to use, and you could spend £30-40 @ maplins/B&Q on an RGB Component cable from the likes of Thor.
    If you wait a week or two, then Dixons (and Currys) will be getting in the new Belkin AVPure cables, replacing their Monster and Ixos ones.

9. big-mac-please

big-mac-please

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello :D

My dvd player is a Pioneer DVR-420H. Its only got Scart, S-Video, Normal video out put that I can see on the back of it?

My Sky box goes through the DVD player though as its a DVD harddriver recorder jobby so I can't try i like that sadly unless I go straight to the TV.

Cheers for the help :smashin:

10. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    There's a fair chance the input on the DVR is not an RGB one, but S-Video or Composite. If so, then I'd say you'll get no appreciable difference from an expensive SCART cable from the Sky to it.
    Swap the current cable to do that duty and get a decent enough one from the DVD-TV - Maplin's knocking out the Thor ones for about £10-12 - half price, I believe.

11. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Just to clarify, SCART cables will not create MPEG/blocking artifacts (what most people will think of when "artifacts" are mentioned). SCART is an analog connection interface. Any problems that cheap cables create here would be of the noisy type, as far as I know.

The thing is, in a forum like this one, I'm guessing that we'll all have Progressive Scan DVD players connected over Component or HDMI anyway, so the only devices we'd possibly be using SCART for would be ones that give questionable picture quality anyway (eg Digital TV).