1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart leads etc.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pa 28 driver, Apr 25, 2005.

1. pa 28 driver

pa 28 driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just ordered my sony as per other threads and much appreciate the help given, thankyou. Main question now is, as its likely come with cheap cables will buying top quality scart lead and optical lead be of great benefit, if so which is best to go for bearing in mind will have to buy from retail/trade outlet as being installed on wednesday. Have done a search on here re cables and good points are raised and I think that having cheap cables equates to having old steel wheels on a sports car:). Many thanks for any assistance.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    if you are only looking for normal lengths (1 - 2 metre), then good quality like ixos or profigold or similar (i.e. £25 - £30 range) is fine, but top quality over a short distance won't make much difference IMHO, though it is worth paying out if you need a longer run of cable.

3. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cabeling is probably one of the most important parts of your av set-up. It is true to say that if your buying a new plasma/lcd/projector then why would you not want to try and get the best signal into it to enjoy it at its hightest potential? Try www.hicables.co.uk, they have a great range of cables. I would suggest a Ixos or QED cable of around £30 - £50. I wouldnt go any higher than this as these guys manufacture cables to such a high standard now that the cables in that price range really do produce some great picture and sound. With regards to the optical lead it would depend on what type of amp or hts you have. To be honest there isnt a great deal of market for optical cables like there is for say scart leads. Just try and go for one based on good reviews/recommedations I guess. I know the Monster Lightspeed standard cables do a very good job and they retail for about £20. Also the QED Qunex OT is another great cable also around £20/£25. In a nutshell yes its important to get good quality cables for your setup so you know your getting the best out of it. Afterall, whats the point of having your new Ferrari delivered with 10" steel wheels? Out of interest could you let us know what Sony you've gone for and the rest of your setup? Have fun dude!

4. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. pa 28 driver

pa 28 driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mep you are a star, only short length needed as has a central box, will try "richer sounds" as they have a shop not a million miles away. Have gone for the sony 42 in the end:), kept saying to myself what have i done lol. The winner was being able to have PIP which quite amused the wife, there again small things do amuse her :eek: , once again thanks a lot.

6. pa 28 driver

pa 28 driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mr incredible, have gone for the sony kd-edp42mrx1, with this will have a sony cinema unit ie DAV2-SR2 think it is, using sky plus at moment and from what people tell me this screen ok for HD next year if decide go for it albeit maybe an adapter ot two. Can't wait till wednesday now and as only have a grundig 28 present sure to notice the difference hey:):). Better get out and buy the cables i guess, thanks

7. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IXOS 601- £40
    or
    IXOS 801- £70
    No VISIBLE difference above that.