SCART in Australia

M

moparmartin

Hi Folks,

This is my first visit and I'm a bit lost but.... Here in Australia we see very little in the way of SCART plugs or cables etc, even most of the terminology is alien and the A/V products connections appear to vary between countries. So I have no idea how to get the Component Video through the SCART Plugs into the TV.

I have a Yamaha DVD (DVS5450) and a Yamaha A/V Receiver (RXV630) which both have provision for component video and "S Video". I have a Loewe TV with 2 SCART plugs for acces to the A/V channels. The only adaptor that I can find in this country is a SCART to 3 x RCA and 1 S Video. The Component Video Plug holes appear to be similar to RCA and are marked Red, Blue and Green. I am currently using S Video connections. In desperation I have studied wiring diagrams for SCART in the hope of building my own adaptor but it appears too complex without further information, given the alternative configurations and warnings. Can anyone help please?

i believe you need a special cable, try QED at ww.hificables.co.uk

The Component Video Plug holes appear to be similar to RCA and are marked Red, Blue and Green.
RGB is not the same as Component, i.e. they are not compatible to each other.
Though RGB is technically a component signal the term "Component" refers to YUV/YCrCb (or YPrPb in it's progressive form). That YUV used red, green and blue colors for the connectors is very misleading.

Normally SCART does not carry YUV but I heard there are some Loewe TVs which do support this. Against any norm I know but who cares if you get the benefit out of it, right?
I suggest you check if you model has this feature and then you post another question in the TV forum, surely someone can help there.

Dear Reiner,

Thank you for the clarification. Component Video is relatively new to Australia and VERY new to me. On further investigation it appears I have the YPrPb format. My DVD says the components are Y = Luminance (Green Terminal) and colour difference Blue/Pb and Red/Pr. The A/V receiver appears to be compatable with more than one format, it says Colour Difference is Pb/Cb and Pr/Cr with luminance on a seperate lead. The TV has settings for AV inputs which include three "DVD / SAT / Decoder" settings, they are marked "CVBS", "Autom CVBS/YC" and "YC". I have no idea what this means. Other settings are for VCR / Camcorders and "RGB" for game controllers

Now if I have all this correct, the net result is that I need a cable from the component video (YPrPb) on my A/V Receiver to a SCART plug to input the picture to my Loewe TV's AV channel. However I still have no idea if the TV is capable of receiving or decoding the component video signals. Any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom