1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCART fun - VCR <-> DLP ??? Help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by organica, May 26, 2005.

1. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ey op -

I'm planning to hook up my projector (Benq PB6210) to my Dad's VCR machine, which seems to be equipped with a SCART out & little else.

I'm wondering if it's possible/likely that I can get component out from the video player's SCART connection - I could buy a SCART to VGA lead, the BenQ takes RGB-in via a VGA socket.

Or is the picture quality from a VHS player going to look much the same via S-Video?

There's also a TV and DVD player, but again, both with SCART outputs...

I don't know what the hell is coming out of the 21 pins on those chunky Euro-connectors, can anyone advise?

Cheers -

Gordon k

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Composite only i am afraid you will need a scart to 3 phono cable for composite video and stereo sound, will look pretty poor though get a DVDR £150 and get component and high quality recordings

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Just to hornydragon point. Scart can carry a multitude of signals but consumer level VCR's only carry composite video information.

So use a scart adaptor to composite to the BenQ.

It will look like sh*te though...

4. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers folks -

I've got a DVDR at home - but the main reason I want to use my Dad's video player is I've got a lot of stuff on VHS, much of which isn't available on DVD. Also it'd be fun to go visit and watch the TV-footie via the projector.

I know that some devices output component via SCART, but yeah, I was kindof guessing that a standard VCR might not.

What about the SCART out of his TV - it's relatively new - widescreen Sony thing - might I get component from that?

Heh... ever hopeful

g k

5. andylorenz

andylorenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi there,

I'd be rather surprised if a TV outputs on a SCART, did you really mean to say that ? It doesn't matter how new it is, TV's are display devices and not display output devices. Also, remember "crap in = crap out" so if you are feeding a device such as a TV with a coax or composite signal, you would not get a better picture from it even if it were able to output a RGB or even component signal.

The only way to check out your options will be to check the output capabilities of your various devices; you have already noted yourself that just because you plug in a fully cabled 21-pin SCART to the back of something doesn't mean all possible signals are populated (most likely you will get composite only, RGB will be missing).

I'd concur with the other posting that composite is crap. I found by cabling up both composite and RGB from a telewest cable box that the RGB was significantly superior - a much more stable picture, much better and richer colours and contrast (i.e. many shades of colours were visible and so detail was beautifully rendered with RGB, whereas on composite all that detail was washed away in a sea of blandness).

regards

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    FWIW my oldish Sony TV does output on AV2 SCART. You can choose to route any of the other inputs inc. the tuner to that socket. BUT the TV has to be on and you will only get composite + left and right audio so it will still look pants!

I don't know if any of the VCR DVD combinations that are available will transcode the composite video signal to component (and just use one set of output connections) but the same rules apply - the signal on the tape is only composite and no matter how much processing you apply to get a component output it will never look very good compared to a true RGB, Svideo or component source.

7. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, input-and-output wise I'm mostly going on what my Dad's told me at the moment.

I'm going over there tomorrow, so I'll take a good look at the equipment - hopefully he has the manuals knocking about somewhere.

I'm presuming I'll have to use the TV receiver on the VCR, take it to the PJ via a SCART to S-Video lead, and hope for the best.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    do that you will get a BLACK and white picture unless its an S-VHS deck! if you have a DVD-R then surely it has a tuner? what about a free view box? you can get them with component out!

9. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, the Freeview option looks like the sensible one - in fact I'm just looking into it right now - my Dad was talking about getting himself a box anyway.

However, again I'm having difficulty finding out what the various boxes actually output via SCART. This seems to be something which is pretty poorly documented in general - probably in the manuals, but that's no use to me as a buyer.

My problem is working out whether what the Freeview box is putting out via the SCART will sync to what the Benq wants to receive via the VGA.

The projector manual shows a connection lead with three phonos (YPbPr) going to the VGA socket (RGB). There's also a timing chart with horizontal frequency and vertical frequency values. From what I can see, none of the Freeview boxes have separate component sockets, so iit would need to come via SCART, and then sync to the VGA on the BenQ.

Can anybody suggest which Freeview boxes might work for this?

g k

10. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, that's exactly what happened.

My short-term plan is to get an S-VHS deck from eBay.
    But it seems that most of these don't have an S-video socket, but usually one or two SCARTs.

Will all S-VHS players give me a colour S-video signal via SCART, or is that not necessarily the case?

g k

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    netgem i player has component out via scart, S-VHS decks will out put S-video via scart so that where you use a scart>4 pin mini din cable (there a few FV boxes with S-video out available