Scart Control Centre Prob

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by JueUK, Sep 3, 2002.

1. JueUK

JueUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a bit of a weird one.. Maybe someone can help..

I've got a BTECH QUATTRO + Electronic scart control box BT941 ... (Which admittally says) ' Not compatible with widescreen autoswitching '

For those who don't know.. I've got only one RGB in my Sony KV32FX20, however I've got 3 RGB components.. a ps2 a dvd and Sky... Which is why I need one of these boxes.

Because I was a previous OnDigital user, I owned a Nokia OnDig set-top box. The 16:9 autoswitching worked fine ??

Now that I've had to change my box to a Sky Dig PACE2500, the autoswitching doesn't work..

Now I know it was never supposed to work ! Because the Quattro misses pin 8 ' (I think) which is the 16:9 autoswitching.

But why then did it work fine on my old Nokia ITV Digital box ??

Does anyone have any idea ?

Hopefully there may be a mod I can do or something, since most of Sky is in 4:3 and most of Terristial is 16:9 it's a REAL pain up the a$$ !

Cheers

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the widescreen switching work when you connect one of your devices directly through the SCART input, or is the problem only through your SCART box?

That's the first thing to check.

3. JueUK

JueUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep it does, I've gone through everything naturally.

Scart switching on the Sky Box works fine directly to the TV just not through the Quattro box,

On the Nokia OnDig it works through the scart box..

I'm beginning to wonder whether Nokia as a manufacturer have slightly wired up their scart sockets slightly different..

I will test tonight with a Phillips OnDigital box to see whether the scart switching works on that..

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the Sky widescreen switching signal is getting lost inside the box...

It could be the voltage is dropping a bit in the process and is not enough for the set to respond.

If you haven't done so already, it might be worth using a better lead - Asda have some nice gold low oxygen jobs just now for less than £20.

Other options are daisy chaining the DVD and Sky Box to see if you can maintain an RGB out...

My SCART splitter has a different effect - it delivers RGB to three outputs, but dumps the sound in the process!

God bless phono plugs...

5. JueUK

JueUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't daisy chain with my DVD player..

I have opted for buying a new manual scart switching box.. The BT921..

The 16:9 autoswitching works fine on it apparantly..

The only snag is I'd have to get up and manually switch from scart device.. Which lets face it, if I'm gonig to change it from Sky it's only to play a PS2 game or watch a DVD, in which case I'd have to get up off my arse anyway...

My only other option would of been to run a S-Video to my TV from the DVD player,, Plug my Sat into the RGB scart and run my PS2 composite (Yeuch)

I wish my tv had two rgb's !!! How pants is that !

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got a fix - even if it involves a bit of exercise.

I got a new DVD for my son last month - a cheapy Schieder from Asda at around £87.

And it's got component video out!

Three separate phono leads for pictures and an optical for sound and the results are brilliant.

And not a SCART in sight!

This could be the future...