Scart Connections

Maintaller

Standard Member
Hi, I have the following equipment and would like to get both the Freeview and Freesat to record onto DVD HD.
Analogue TV - 2 Scarts
DVD Recorder - 2 Scarts
Freesat - 2 Scarts
Freeview - 1 Scart

Thx

Tony

logiciel

Freesat to Recorder by Scart.
Freeview to Recorder by Scart.
Those are either daisy chained, or through use of a 2 way Scart combiner: Connectors.
Recorder to TV by Scart.
Select appropriate Inputs on Recorder, select appropriate Input on TV.
Freesat and Freeview could additionally go direct to TV if it has enough input sockets.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Freesat to Recorder by Scart.
Freeview to Recorder by Scart.
Recorder to TV by Scart.
Select appropriate Inputs on Recorder, select appropriate Input on TV.

That's 3 scarts on the DVDR :D he only has 2.

Mark uk

Novice Member
You cant do HD on scarts?
Cant you just daisy chain the input devices (freeview/freesat) to the recorder and which ever input device is switched on will then be the recordable source?
I presume there is only 1 input source on the dvd recorder.
The remaining dvd recorder scart then goes to the tv.(av1 on tv)
I suppose you could connect the freesat to TV by scart in addition to the above too.(av2 on tv)
Wouldnt the last switched on device take priority on the dvd recorder daisy chained cabled bit.(av1 on tv)

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

Mark uk

Novice Member
As you can't record in anything but SD on a dvdr how is that relevant ?
In the first posting he said DVD HD.

I am purely trying to find a solution for him isnt that the point, he probably does know the answer fully like myself obviously.:)

logiciel

Thanks glt - my post now amended.

"DVD HD" in the original post could only have meant disc or hard drive, not High Definition.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
In the first posting he said DVD HD.

I am purely trying to find a solution for him isnt that the point, he probably does know the answer fully like myself obviously.:)

Like thousands the OP doesn't know the convention HD - High Definition HDD - Hard Disc Drive. The analogue TV (2 scarts) kind of rules out any High Defintion source. Even HD blu-ray recorders won't record HD from an external source anyway.

Simplest solution route the two recording connections to the DVDR via a two way scart switch.

eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxview-H84086-Scart-Switch-Black/dp/B000FIH82A

Last edited:

Mark uk

Novice Member
Nicely clarified what you actually meant, cheers for that. I didnt read the initial wording like yourself.

logiciel

Simplest solution route the two recording connections to the DVDR via a two way scart switch.
Most of the ones on my link do the switch automatically but I guess it might be useful to have a manual switch.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Most of the ones on my link do the switch automatically but I guess it might be useful to have a manual switch.

In a case like this where you might be using both items at the same time auto just doesn't really cut it. You could be using one source to record from and the other for live viewing. Of course the Rolls Royce job is a remote controlled matrix switch with two independent signal paths. You can then route one input to any output and a second to any other totally independently. Bit of overkill for a connection that's only used occasionly. (they were quite expensive even if you can still get them).

Last edited:

logiciel

Quite so - the automatic switching works when one powers off and the other powers on.
This all shows that Scarts still have a future after all.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom