1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scart connection for gamecube

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by megalithin, May 5, 2003.

1. megalithin

megalithin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have recently purchased a gamecube, and have tried to connect it to my TV via the AV connector. However, my TV will not pick the signal up. It will from my vcr and my dvd player, but not my gamecube. (My TV is about 15 years old).

At the moment, I am having to plug my gamecube into my vcr, and then set the vcr to tuner mode to pick up a signal, which is fine, but I can't play while I am taping something.

I bought an RF adaptor, so that I could plug my gamecube into the aerial socket, but I can't get a stable picture at all. Can anyone help - is there anyway to get a signal. The gamecube is obviously transmitting via the scartsocket as it works through the vcr. Any suggestions.

Cheers

Megalithin

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is is a PAL Gamecube isn't it? If so the RF cable should be enough to enable a stable image on an old TV... If it rolls/and is in black and white then maybe you've enabled the 60HZ mode?

If all else fails, pick up a new TV ^_^

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Does the TV have a Scart socket? you could Try the RGB cable! maybe TV has RGB and no composite (unlikely) how is the VCR connected?

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt that is has a SCART socket as its 15 years old. His VCR is connected (I assume) via RF and thats why he has interferrance when his GC and VCR is on.

I guess we'll have to wait until he replies, but I haven't heard any issues with the official RF cable for the GC.

5. megalithin

megalithin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, and thanks

I'll try the 60hz setting (I'm at college at the moment) The picture does roll / displays black and white. Yes, it is a PAL cube, and yes, the TV does have a scart socket (just 1), which is at present used by the dvd player. The tv allows for tuning for RF / AV / RGB. I'll let you know when I have tried the 60hz setting.

Cheers

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you're using the scart loopthrough on your video it won't work while your taping something. I have mine connected to the RGB scart loopthrough on my dvd player and it the dvd player won't send the loopthrough signal to the tv unless its switched off.

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But he's not using SCART in the first place... His TV is 15 years old and only supports RF. If it did support RGB Scart then his problems with the display wouldn't occur. Oddly enough though he gets a distorted image even with RF so it could be that (possibly) the channel is not tuned properly?

We would have to wait until megalithin replies back to us.

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you know something he doesn't then!:D

9. megalithin

megalithin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yes, for the third time, my TV does have scart, and I have tried to connect my Gamecube to it via Scart - it won't work. My DVD connects to the scart socket on my TV fine, but my Gamecube (or my old PS2 for that matter - I sold it to get a gamecube) will not.

The PS2 worked fine with RF, but the gamecube doesn't. Rolling distorted picture is all I can get - I have tried the 50mhz/60 mhz setting, and I am definitely set to 50mhz. I relise that the channel isn't tuned properly, but my problem is it won't tune properly with the RF adaptor. As I said, the only way I can get my cube to work is by plugging the cube scart adaptor into the vcr scart socket, and then plugging the vcr into the tv with the coaxial cable into the arial socket (The DVD is currently in the TV's scart socket). If I set the vcr into tuner mode, this then works.

I don't understand why my scart lead (lead + adaptor), as supplied with the gamecube, will not work in my TV's scart socket, when my DVD will, and why I can't tune my TV in when using the RF adaptor.

Cheers for any help

Megalithin

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    YOu need the RGB cable not the free composite one mate, They are £15 ish, only get the official Nintendo RGB Cable!!!! Try this Just chaeck at the shop you can return it, also try asking at the Local Game EB if they can help mate!

Other option is to disconnect all but the RF module including the TV aerialand the add the aerial, then the video, and find where the trouble is, Have you tried retuning the video and TV????

11. megalithin

megalithin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers folks

I have not tried the rgb scart socket, but I have replaced my RF adaptor, and it works fine. I must have had a faulty one. Picture probably not as good, but I won't get top quality until I get a new telly - with one child and another one on the way, and being a ful time student, I could be waiting some time.

Cheers Folks

Megalithin

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meh, when I checked the forum his post wasn't up and I only read yours James >_<

If you have only one RGB Scart socket though, just use a SCART box ^_^ Another link to an old thread - Ye oldie scart splitter

Just get yourself one of those babies and you won't have to worry about your student loan so much ^_^