1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scart/component input signal

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by silron1, Oct 12, 2003.

1. silron1

silron1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am a complete newbie, have just completed installation of panasonic 42" plasma, - am delighted with my achievment. However what are the implications of being unable to switch the input signal between rgb/component.
    I use a skybox with a scart into a manual scart switch and share the switch with a vcr. The output goes to a scart control board in slot 1 at the rear of the plasma.
    I also installed a second scart control board in slot 2 where i run a scart lead direct from my dvd.
    When I access the signal through 'setup' the option availiable for scart/component remains blank with no adjustment availiable. The same applies at input 2 from the dvd.
    Have I done something wrong and am I losing any picture quality which may be availiable through this ?.
    A bit of advice from someone would be much appreciated
    Sorry if this is old stuff but I have searched the threads and can find nothing relevent

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Make sure that Sky and the DVD player are set to output RGB signals and you'll have the best picture.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Surely with a scart board installed, you won't be able to select component, there is no standard for component via scart. The DVD will certainly not output YUV (component) from it's scart, only RGB, s video or composite (yuck) Hopefully you have enabled RGB on the DVD and sky, and unless your DVD can output progressive scan component, it's as good as you'll get in any case. If you have component out 3 x phono, and progressive scan you should probably use this, with a Vandamme or similar 3xphono to D-Sub lead, into the VGA port, which can be configured for YUV

4. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Meridian DVD players can output component video on their Scart socket (although, as you say it is non-standard).

I am told by meridian that by getting a standard Scart to RGB Phono lead, you can output component video into a plasma screen!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is certainly correct, the Netgem freeview box does it too. What you need is a termination at the plasma end to suit the connection, which in the case above is the vga port, non standard but user configurable to take component. Scart RGB to D-sub Component, there's a rare beast. Sounds like a challenge. Wonder if one of those Sanyo projector ones would work, they're for RGB!

6. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I may well be in the market for one of those very cables soon (dependant upon the outcome of this thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110882)

I have a Meridian 596 with Scart Output and a 434 on order (although I may cancel the order unless the HDMI D/A/D issue gets sorted as I opted for this one partially based on the fact that it has this input and the new G series Meridians output DVI!)