SCART Comp Video vs. RF

Ian964

Established Member
Reaction score
My father-in-law has asked me to try and do something about the crap picture quality he's getting on a Sharp Aquous LCD TV.

At the moment, SKY is fed from the digibox (Pace DS430N) to the TV (LC30-HV2M) via a cheapo RF lead, so it's understandable pq is poor. Now the TV is an import (from Singapore, where the in-laws used to live) and as such does not have any SCART connectivity. It has RF, S-Video, component video and composite video (3xRCA) inputs only.

The PACE box only has RF and SCART (RGB and composite video, no s-video). As I see it, the two options are:

1) use a SCART to 3xRCA lead for composite video. Will this give a significant improvement?

2) get an RGB to component active converter. Would this be significantly better than 1)? Presumably more costly, but is it worth it?

I'm guessing 1) is a cheap starting point, and would make a difference 'cause at least you're getting rid of the RF modulation/demodulation step (also the analogue tuner in the Sharp has a poor reputation). Am I right on this?

cheers
Ian

Option 1 should IMO offer a fair improvement in PQ over RF. AFAIK RF only offers mono sound, so going composite plus stereo audio should give better sound as well.

Option 2 IMO will offer a massive increase in PQ, but as you say 'at a cost'. The prefered converters on this forum are from J S Tech and are IMO excellent. I have used both the RGB>VGA & RGB>YUV converters in the past and the PQ from both was very good. There are cheaper options, but I believe you do get what you pay for.

Mark.

Thanks Mark. I tried the composite video, and it didn't make as big a difference as I was hoping. I'll try a bit more tweaking (the sharp allows different picture setup for each input), but may need to go for the converter.

Ian

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom