Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

SCART Comp Video vs. RF

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ian964, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Ian964

Ian964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My father-in-law has asked me to try and do something about the crap picture quality he's getting on a Sharp Aquous LCD TV.

At the moment, SKY is fed from the digibox (Pace DS430N) to the TV (LC30-HV2M) via a cheapo RF lead, so it's understandable pq is poor. Now the TV is an import (from Singapore, where the in-laws used to live) and as such does not have any SCART connectivity. It has RF, S-Video, component video and composite video (3xRCA) inputs only.

The PACE box only has RF and SCART (RGB and composite video, no s-video). As I see it, the two options are:

1) use a SCART to 3xRCA lead for composite video. Will this give a significant improvement?

2) get an RGB to component active converter. Would this be significantly better than 1)? Presumably more costly, but is it worth it?

I'm guessing 1) is a cheap starting point, and would make a difference 'cause at least you're getting rid of the RF modulation/demodulation step (also the analogue tuner in the Sharp has a poor reputation). Am I right on this?

cheers
    Ian

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    Option 1 should IMO offer a fair improvement in PQ over RF. AFAIK RF only offers mono sound, so going composite plus stereo audio should give better sound as well.

Option 2 IMO will offer a massive increase in PQ, but as you say 'at a cost'. The prefered converters on this forum are from J S Tech and are IMO excellent. I have used both the RGB>VGA & RGB>YUV converters in the past and the PQ from both was very good. There are cheaper options, but I believe you do get what you pay for.

Mark.

3. Ian964

Ian964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Mark. I tried the composite video, and it didn't make as big a difference as I was hoping. I'll try a bit more tweaking (the sharp allows different picture setup for each input), but may need to go for the converter.

Ian