SCART cables

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulamos, Feb 19, 2003.

1. paulamos

paulamos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not happy with the output from Toshiba DVD player and feel its the scart lead that is problem. I've found one for £40 ($60). Do people feel that this would make a difference or is that just too much to spend on a cable :devil:

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which DVD player is it? Which TV or display are you using? What SCART lead are you currently using? What is the perceived problem with the picture at the moment? What are you hoping the new SCART will achieve?

That's just a few of the questions you'll need to answer before anyone can give you a specific answer.

In the meantime, assuming your DVD player and display are both in working order and set-up correctly, you will see a benefit in using a £40 SCART lead if you're currently using a very cheap/free one. And in answer to your other question, I don't believe £40 is too much to spend on a cable. In terms of SCART leads, £40 just scrapes you into the bottom of the mid-range.

3. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you do anything have you checked that your player is set to output RGB in the player menu, and that it is connected to an RGB scart on your tv? If so you could look at the following site.

You could save ten pounds if you buy the thor scart from:
    http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/Warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=PHITHORSCART150

The ixos scarts are good also, perhaps someone else might be able to suggest somewhere cheaper to buy, Empire direct seem pretty cheap http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Productlist.asp (go to the accessories menu)

The ixos 126 is a good one.

hope this helps

4. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Ive seen a car on sale for £5000. Do people think it will be better than the one i currently drive? :confused:

As juboy pointed out,you have to give ALL the details before anybody will be in a position to offer you advice.:D

5. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The thor scart lead is spot on, got a very good picture using mine :)

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    *MOD NOTE*

Thread "pruned" - I've edited 1 or 2 posts and deleted a couple of others. Try to keep threads at least remotely on track please guys!! ;)

K.

7. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm also thinking of buying a new scart cable .

Currently I have a IXOS 162AV (bottom of the line) connected to my DVD player and a standard free cable to my sky box .

would i notice a big defference if I connected a 141av , 126av ,monster 2 or phore scart .

Currently my dvd pic quality is good if i sit about 6 feet away but up close it looks awful .

any advice please guys ?

would would recommend IXOS or Monster ?is is realy worth the extra £40-£50

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From your sig it would appear you're using a 32" TV? You should be sitting at least 6ft away from it, ideally, more like 8 to 10ft away.

No cable will make your 32" TV pic look very good if you're sitting closer than 6ft away.

9. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks

That's good new's in a way , at least I know my TV isn't faulty .

anyway would it still be worth the upgrade ?

10. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
  11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think your Sky box deserves better than a freebie lead. I use a Supra AV6 from my Sky box to the TV and it does make a definite, positive improvement. It clears up the graphics and removes dot crawl at normal viewing distances.

Your DVD player's SCART could also benefit slightly from something like the AV6 but the difference may not be hugely noticeable.

I've used about 8 SCARTS over the last three years and the Supra has out performed them all.

I think they're reasonably priced at www.supradirect.co.uk and that site's service is excellent.

12. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having a good quality SCART lead should be a must IMHO The difference in picture quality between using a freebie and something in the startup league (say £40), is massive.

If you spend £800 or so, on a TV why not spend another £80 so that you can really utilise the quality of it?:eek:

13. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    what about buying one of those monster cables from comet for £70

are they anygood ,better than the Ixos 141AV ?

14. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    So..

Juboy I take it the Ecosse Armageddon has been relegated then from the top spot?

Matt

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used one and, no, to my mind they're not worth £70. The Supra is about £10/£15 cheaper and out performs them.

16. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39

Ok thanks for that

I can't afford £70 , what about the 141av £40 from richer ?

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have posted about it before. The Ecosse Armageddon is a very close second to the Supra, but it cost significantly more and doesn't quite resolve the same level of detail. On the plus side, the Armageddon allows auto-switching on the TV (for source/widescreen) which the Supra doesn't.

I was always a little concerned with the strain that the Ecosse put on connections aswell, it's a heavy cable with very heavy connectors and noticeably 'pulled' at horizontal SCART sockets. The Supra is almost the opposite and quite light.

18. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I do understand your position, I really would advise you to stick with what you have for a month of two and try and scrape together the extra £30 (the price of 10 pints?) and go for the Supra.

I'm sure many would agree that if you sell yourself that bit short now, you'll only end up regretting spending the £40 and wishing you'd waited.

19. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading through this I have been getting an idea about prices and recommendations for scarts, but I still could do with a bit more info at my (cheapo) end of the market.

Just bought a Sony LS60 and will buy a Sony DVPNS405 DVD soon. Also will get a freeview box of some kind. Have a Video recorder (Akai) which has one scart.

Have read good things about Lektrapacks HCSL14 (about £17 1.5m), but now seen a Philex Thor here for about the same price (£16 each if I buy 3).

Anyone able to give a comparison of these?

Would like to connect DVD->TV, video->TV, freeview->video->TV

Does this allow me to record from freeview box with the video? Am new to this, sorry if that is a noddy question.

Scart leads are my main concern at the moment, as once I know which make to get I'll sort out the rest.

All these should be scart->scart, yes?

Cheers, Neil

20. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nello, I have one of the lektropacks HCSL14 scarts, and I can't tell the difference between that and my ixos 126, but if the thor is that cheap it's better build quality would get my vote.

Things to remember are that the HCSL14 has light plastic plug heads (less strain on the tv sockets) and is of the angled head design.

The Thor is of the straight design and is heavier and more robust, plus it has plenty of top awards and comes highly recommended by others on this forum.

As for the freview box , don't some come with two scart sockets so you can connect your video straight to the box? :)

21. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    So are the Supra SCART cables a perceptible step up from the QED Squart range?

22. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I looked at the two more closely and the Thor looked much more substantial. Pretty good price too at TLC Direct , though 1.5m seems to be an awfully long scart just to go from TV to all the stuff that is just in a cabinet below it. Do you get interference with lots of scart leads all bunched up behind the tv :confused:

It's all a bit academic at the moment because the TV has to go back to John Lewis. Unfortunately I got someone else's returned LS60 with that famous "Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" :mad: Not impressed with John Lewis.

23. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On anything of 32" or less, probably not but depending on the kit used and size of screen, yes, I believe there is a noticeable benefit.

24. pixel

pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have a Toshiba SD-520E DVD player and Toshiba 32ZP18Q PICTURE FRAME 32" widescreen. I want to get the best out of my setup what leads should I use? Make and model please

25. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixel: If the TV has component in then I'd suggest Supra AV3 component leads. If not, you'll have to use SCART and the Supra AV6 would be my recommendation... note that it does NOT carry audio though, so you'll need to hook the DVD player up another way for your audio :)

26. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've noticed any interference, as all the cables are shielded, so I imagine it must work both ways (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The lektropacks scart is only 75cm long (ixos 1.5m) and it does keep things tidier at the back of the tv, I've also heard that the shorter the length the cable, the better the signal is supposed to be anyway.