1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart Cables....

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gavsim, Oct 9, 2004.

1. gavsim

gavsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

First of all I love this forum..... so much good info.

Anyway, Im new to A/V and have just purchased a 42" Plasma (LG 42PX11) and have been advised to buy some decent cables. Now I have been in to comet and seen they offer monster scart cables, are these any good? Im only looking to spend about £40 due to being on a tight budget.

Any advise on a better scart in this price range would be of great help.

Cheers,

Gavin

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    Best two scart cables for about that price are the QED Sqart P4110 and P2110 at £30 and the QED Sqart AV4110 and AV2100 at £50.

3. gavsim

gavsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer,

Thanks for your response. Of the 4 scart cables you have listed which is the best?

Gavin

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Skytronic SCART cables 99p from supermarkets
    with an LG you will never know the difference.

5. gavsim

gavsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, not everyone can afford the best of everything. There was no need for an insult.

Do you have any serious recommendations?

6. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED Sqart AV4110

Now just waiting for My Pio 435XDE to use it on!

7. gavsim

gavsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cheers Dj Johnny!

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Actually I have the Panasonic PWD6, and am using several 99p Skytronic
    SCART leads (and a very expensive £6 VGA lead). Price really doesn't matter as long as you snip pin 19 from the TV end of the SCART, it will work perfectly (pin 19 is the video loopback from the Tv tuner and causes ghosting if not removed) Why not give it a try, 99p is no big loss if you don't like the result.

More expensive SCART cables tend to not have the loopback connected and
    have an arrow to point in the direction you have to connect the cable. Many
    people don't realise why the ghosting occures and equate the picture quality
    to the cost of the cable. Don't believe everything (anything) a salesman tells you!

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    As johnnyg says the AV4110 at £50 is the best of those 4. It is a better quality of cable than the P series cables and it is wored for RGB only and so keeps interference down to a mimimum. Be aware though that as it is wired for RGB only it is directional and does not transfer any audio at all to the display.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    some QED scarts in classifieds

11. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, Gavin. :)

We have a large LG plasma in my old secondary school’s reception/entrance area (I work for them voluntarily from home), and it really is excellent. Our in-house technical staff (friends of mine) manage the computer network, IT and AV systems, and they purchased the LG. We do not have contractors looking after our equipment! :)

I hope you enjoy yours, Gavin. :) LG offer excellent value for money and performance for the price, and they are certainly not a ‘cheap’ brand. Companies like LG (and Thomson, another favourite of mine) tend to offer more features than other many other brands, although I understand the many still have their ‘favourites’ that they buy from experience. In my opinion, LG are underrated in many respects, and I do not always accept the argument of “you get what you pay for” – it is more complicated than that. LG score well in many areas in reviews, even with its DVD players and VCRs – just look at www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews.

The best SCART leads are probably the Philex Thor (£17.98 including postage and packing from www.tvcables.co.uk) and QED ones. The reviews for both Thor and QED have been consistently good. The Thors are usually £30, although I guess many would say that QED are slightly higher end. However, I do understand what others are saying about not spending a fortune on SCART leads. I personally would not spend more than £30 on each SCART lead. There is a difference between a basic SCART lead and a £30 one, but it is not as big as some would have you believe, but it’s still certainly visible and essential when you are spending hundreds, if not thousands, on AV gear. For a portable TV in your bedroom, though, I don’t think a £30 lead would be necessary! ;)

I have seen some QED SCART leads for around £23 in very short lengths (0.5 to 1 metre, I think), but I can’t think where at the moment – sorry. Profigold ones are apparently good, although they tend to have very heavy SCART plugs, which I personally think is bad thing. SCART sockets were never really designed to take such heavy plugs, and I do not think it is necessary to have such heavy plugs. I would suggest either Thor or QED. There are reviews of Thor and QED cables at www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews.

Shops like Comet don’t usually offer very good value for money when it comes to SCART leads. It’s probably best to go on the Internet.

I hope this helps. Any other questions, don’t hesitate to fire away.

Best regards,

Carl :)

12. jicms

jicms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Eek, what does this mean. I am a non-technical female looking for shorter scarts to connect my new Samsung PS42Q97HD to the DVD and cable box. Can anyone suggest which to buy? :lease:

13. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Another top notch scart is the Ixos XHT601 range (other qualities and flat cables are available), this brand is every bit as good as QED.

I recently bought a 1.5m one for £32 from tvcables.co.uk -it's excellent

14. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I used a QED Scart to S-video cable. What an absolute rip off that was. Compare it to a standard scart cable and it was EXACTLY the same.

Have you thought of freezing your cables or putting them in a tub of WD40 to help the signal transfer easier?

Or failing that you could just buy some snake oil.

15. jicms

jicms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was all set to a couple of the recommended scart leads today but have been reading about component video being the best connection. Should I be looking to this. I need to connect my 42" plasma, cable box and dvd recorder (and probably home cinema system later). To add to my confusion should I be looking at HDMi connection(s). Any help would be much appreciated.

16. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,677
    Scart is a connection method and can carry an RGB, S-Vid or composite video: it is for SD material only. At SD resolutions (576i) RGB is theoretically superior to component. Many say the component picture is a bit softer than RGB. Both are analogue connections.

However, it is possible to transmit higher resolutions and more importantly progressive signals over a component connection using "component" signals. So the answer to your question depends on the source you're throwing at the display and what the display can handle.

HDMI is digital and more convenient for connecting up HDMI capable equipment. Whether one would see a difference between a 720p via component or 720p via HDMI, I don't know. I think much depends again on the displays capabilities for both resolution and scaling.

17. jicms

jicms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your reply though this is all a bit much for a non-technical female like me to take in! It's to connect my plasma to my cable box and dvd recorder. I want to be able to record either from cable or the TV's Freeview. Is this enough information :confused:

18. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,677
    Just stick with a (good) Scart connection as it would be the easiest method to connect up for display and recording. I'd look to spend about £20 for a Scart cable and get really good quality.

If your DVD player has a HDMI connection on it for playback (not recording), then use that AS WELL as the Scart used for recording from the TV's Freeview tuner to your DVD recorder. Doesn't your DVD recorder have built in Freeview? Many do.

If your DVD recorder has HDMI then playing back DVD's (rented or bought) will give you the best picture. If your DVD player does not have HDMI out, but component output, you could consider using that to playback DVD's to your display (three cables, red, blue & green). Quailty will be very good on an HD ready TV.

Your DVD recorder may have to be setup or configured to output a component signal instead of a signal via its Scart output. Note the Scart input for recording may use RGB or it may use what is called composite video. But much depends whether your TV Freeview output over Scart is RGB or composite. I'm afraid only a read of the manuals will reveal what each bit is capable of.

Your DVD recorder will probably only be able to record from one "source", so it will either be from your TV Freeview or your cable, not both. I could be wrong, but you may need to decide what to record from.

For playback of cable I'd use another Scart lead to your TV. It should have more than 1 scart for connection.

I hope that helps a bit more!

19. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Interesting point so I googled it and came up with an article on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

20. jicms

jicms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Malice for your detailed reply.

I'm starting by getting some new scarts (hope the QED 2105 will be sufficient, felt £20 is enough to pay).

My DVD recorder I'm afraid is a £60 Alba and very basic so no HD, HDMi or Freeview. So I think my next purchase will be a new recorder. I might go for the Samsung 855 as hopefully the same brand as my plasma might make everything more compatible. I'm not sure though if I'll want a scart between this and the TV or composite connection.

21. jicms

jicms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For the 855 would I need just a scart to my plasma or an HDMi cable?