1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scart cable length

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bisher, Aug 8, 2004.

1. bisher

bisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi everyone

i have had my plasma over 2 months now and its time to do something about the cables.

what i want to do is move everything out of the living room and into a cupboard in the hall leaving just the speakers in the room.

i want to make a 15mtr scart lead but have seen several different types of cables so i am not sure which to get. would i only need to use 3 pins in the scart plug and if so which pins do i connect?.

also would the picture be degraded over quite a long cable and is there any other problems i could encounter.

my last question is about remote senders. are these pyramid senders any good and i presume that i just put it in front of my equipment and one in the living room.

any help would be appreiciated

bisher

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Bisher,

Here is a link to the pinouts to various connectors.

You probably need RGB + composite sync, depending on what you are doing with the scart cable of course,

15M is a long scart !

Good luck !

Mark.

3. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am just about to make a 45 foot (around 14 metres) SCART RGB + Composite cable using Belden 1522a which the chaps at blue jeans cable reckon they've had 40 foot in the same cable, without a noticeable drop in quality, so I'll let you know how it goes!

Looking at the impedance stats from Belden and given the PAL/NTSC RGB bandwidth, I reckon the drop in quality should be negligble for a guy like me (who wants quality, but stops short of silver cables and 200 quid power cables - though, I'm not knocking those who do).

Gunrock

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    bisher

What signal(s) do you have to carry from your Source(s) to the Plasma - Composite, S-Video, RGB, YUV, Stereo Audio?

Whilst the quality of the cable, connectors and workmanship is important you have to also remember that the majority of 'consumer' devices are not designed to drive long video cables.

The remote senders can be pretty good - though watch out for compatibility (or lack of) with SKY+ (some systems need additional bits to work with SKY+) and don't sit the IR Receiver in front of your Plasma - the Plasma is very effective at producing unwanted IR and driving your system nuts.

Play about with the IR receiver before you finalise where it is to live - the most cosmetic set up is not always the most effective.

Best regards

Joe

5. bisher

bisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi guys

thanks for all the replys.

joe it is rgb

thanks again for the help

bisher

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello bisher

If its RGB video only then your minimum requirement is a four core 75 ohm Multicore - Belden or VanDamme would seem suitable culprits.

Keep in mind your restricted by the cable inlet on most SCART hoods to about 11mm - so some of the heaver Belden and VanDamme cables are not best suited to SCART hoods.

As before your relying heavily on the source kit to have the ability to drive this length of cable!

Best regards

Joe