scart board for Panny PW7: why so bad?

Davidgilmour

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this one so bad because it's an AV SCART board or is it a real RGB SCART board?

can you confirm that what you are reporting is poor picture quality through this scart terminal board ?

i am not sure what you mean by "AV Scart Board" as apposed to "Real RGB Scart Board"

by its nature the scart connection offers up to 3 main types of video transfer (this is determined by signal output or signal accepted by the equipment connected at each end of the cable)

1) composite
2) "S" video
3) RGB

i could be wrong, but .... i believe the terminal board for your panel will accept any of the above signals.

So, if your picture is that bad and your convinced it is the scart that is at fault, here are some simple things to try

1) fit a decent cable
2) check that whatever you are using to supply the signal is outputting the highest quality signal it can (usually configured in menus)
3) I don't know on this panel/terminal board combination if you also have to go into the menus and configure the type of signal you want it to receive

it is more than possible that you are not transferring the signal by the highest quality method

i hope that makes sense

Gunslinger

Hello Davidgilmouir

As Gunslinger says a SCART board is a SCART board so has to meet all the relevant specs.

If you have a 7 or 8 Series Display you have two options if you must have a SCART Input board:

01. TY-42TM6TB - (6 & 7 Series) which never won many favourable votes and produced a 'soft' image.

02. TY-FB8SC (7 & 8 Series) - which seems to have solved all the image quality issues from the 6 Series Board and works very well; though I've personally never used one in a 7 Series Display.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks Joe for adding your experience there, i wasnt aware of those issues with the early board, although it would help if he said which one it was he had :rolleyes:

there is a third option, which i think might be his best option if he wants possibly the best picture he can manage and that is to use something like a JS Technology RGB to Plasma VGA Convertor to hook up through the VGA connector

gunslinger said:
Thanks Joe for adding your experience there, i wasnt aware of those issues with the early board, although it would help if he said which one it was he had :rolleyes:

there is a third option, which i think might be his best option if he wants possibly the best picture he can manage and that is to use something like a JS Technology RGB to Plasma VGA Convertor to hook up through the VGA connector

thanks both for your answers. I have a Panny PW7 with the JS VGA-RGB solution. But since I am planning to put all the cables into the wall [insert pink floyd joke here] I was reconsidering a SCART board (JS is so huge... and needs its own power).
I might take a look at the new board. And another advantage would be PIP, doesn't work on the PW7 with JS RGB-VGA.

Cheers!

It's not all that bad.
I sold my JS box as there was hardly any difference.
If you are a real expert you would need to see a JS box and a SCART picture side by side to tell the difference.
My guess is that it has a bad rep because many people are watching composite into the SCART board, and not RGB (easy to do)

Joe Fernand said:
Hello Davidgilmouir

As Gunslinger says a SCART board is a SCART board so has to meet all the relevant specs.

If you have a 7 or 8 Series Display you have two options if you must have a SCART Input board:

01. TY-42TM6TB - (6 & 7 Series) which never won many favourable votes and produced a 'soft' image.

02. TY-FB8SC (7 & 8 Series) - which seems to have solved all the image quality issues from the 6 Series Board and works very well; though I've personally never used one in a 7 Series Display.

Best regards

Joe

Is there any difference in these 2 boards? i thought the change was in the 8 series panels and boards were the same apart from model number.

pjclark1 said:
It's not all that bad.
I sold my JS box as there was hardly any difference.
If you are a real expert you would need to see a JS box and a SCART picture side by side to tell the difference.
My guess is that it has a bad rep because many people are watching composite into the SCART board, and not RGB (easy to do)

Do you own the PW 7 or PW 8?
See also this thread ==> http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263119&highlight=soft+scart

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom