Scart and/or HDMI cable connections ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by resarfski, Jan 9, 2008.

1. resarfski

resarfski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that this is a common topic, but could I request help in respect of the cable connections to the following equipment …

TV - Panasonic TH42PZ70B
    DVD recorder - Panasonic DMR EX777
    AV Rec - Onkyo TX SR605
    Satellite - Sky+

Terrestrial reception is not too brilliant and I don't intend to watch or record via this signal. Possibly in the near future, I may upgrade the sky+ box to HD and take advantage of the HDMI socketry.

Thanks

2. msg597

msg597
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not clear what your question is, but if what you want to know is what cabling you should use then the general rule is:
    If you have HDMI available between components then use it.
    Next best available would be component or RGB Scart
    Next best available would be s-video
    you don't want to use anything else....
    For Audio : HDMI if it's available, coaxial digital then optical digital, finally analogue stereo pair
    So:
    DVD -> HDMI -> AV -> HDMI -> TV (Audio via coaxial digital to AV, nothing to TV)
    This should give you the Viera linked remote control feature as well

Sat -> RGB Scart -> TV (Audio via optical digital to AV / stereo pair to TV)

Alternative if you can't get a scart to the TV direct would be:

Sat -> RGB Scart -> QED QCV Component converter -> AV (Audio via optical digital) -> component -> TV (or possibly via HDMI not sure how well the Onkyo upconverts)

Or if you don't like or don't want to buy the QED Converter you can:

Sat -> S-Video -> AV

But that would not be so good.

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    As you want to record sky on the DVD recorder, I would connect it as follows:

Sky + (TV SCART) to DVD Recorder (AV2 SCART) via SCART (set to RGB, 16:9 and SCART Control on in Sky + video settings menu)
    Sky + to Onkyo via Optical (ensure it is set to digital/optical in audio menu)
    DVD recorder (AV1 SCART) to TV via SCART
    DVD recorder to Onkyo via optical
    DVD recorder to TV via HDMI (or to the amp and run a second HDMI cable to the TV - see below)

That setup should allow you to pass the sky signal through the DVD recorder without the DVD recorder being on. When the DVD recorder is on, it should output via the HDMI cable to the TV.

You also have the option of connecting the DVD recorder via the amp via HDMI and running a second HDMI cable to the TV. If you buy cheap (or expensive!!) HDMI cables (they're perfectly fine) this would give you access to the amps setup menus on the screen, which I would recommend.

If you wanted to connect everything to the amp and just run one cable (HDMI) to the TV, then the way to go would be to get a QED RGB SCART converter box and connect the Sky + to that via SCART and run a component video cable (red/blue/green) to the amp. The amp would then upconvert the signal to HDMI and output the sky signal to the TV. However, you would need to have the amp on to view the Sky+ (I do) all the time, rather than having the option of quiet viewing (audio from TV speakers) by connecting it as I mentioned above.

If the DVD recorder doesn't pass the RGB signal from the Sky+ box to the TV when it's off (I can't imagine it won't) you also have the option of getting a RGB SCART buffer from JS-Technology which effectively would split the RGB output from the Sky+ to both your DVD recorder and to your TV.

4. resarfski

resarfski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies chaps, think I now know what I'm doing.

DavePuma - Just a couple of further queries -
    a) you mentioned using an optical connection between the DVD and the Onkyo. Could I use an HDMI instead.
    b) if I change my sky+ box for a skyHD box, will I be able to use HDMI to connect the skyHD to the Onkyo, in place
    of the optical.

Thanks again your your advice

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I'm afraid you still need an optical for both your DVD recorder and Sky HD as both only output 2.0 channel stereo via HDMI. I checked the specs of your DVD recorder before answering in my first post. Some of the newer Sonys output full digital audio via HDMI but not your model.

6. resarfski

resarfski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Davepuma - your advice is much appreciated