1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCART and Component Cabling

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Brash, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Brash

Brash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at buying a Sony KD32NX200 integrated digital television (overview here) which has component input via SCART. I currently have a Yamaha A/V reciever with component switching and I have a DVD player with component output and am looking at also getting a PC media player which also has component output. My question is this, is there such a cable which will connect the YUV component out from the reciever to the SCART connection in the back of the television? I've looked around and can only see SCART cabling which accepts RGB input, not YUV.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's because it's very unusual to connect YUV via SCART. If I were you, I would double-check with Sony to make sure that this is really what it is, and not just plain-vanilla RGB.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,405
    The link posted with the details of the Sony TV does say '2 rear HD/DVD component inputs via scart' so YUV via scart is fine for this TV.
    Any scart lead that is listed as RGsB or just RGB but with only 3 phono connections will work fine. A few different quality and lenghts of these leads can be found Here.

Mark.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Brash

YUV SCART cables are easy enough to supply - you just need to specify if you need YUV + Stereo Audio or YUV Only and what cable length you require; most of the Home Theatre 'Brands' that supply conventional SCART cables will do custom cables though for this application I'd go with VanDamme.

I also note your TV spec sheet says 1080i, 720P and 576P - no mention of 480i, 480P or 576i signals.

Best regards

Joe

5. Brash

Brash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that component cabling is different to normal coax that you would use for audio or composite. Something to do with the internal resistance. Is this correct?

If so, is RGB cable the component or composite type, ie, if I get an RGB-SCART connector, will it transmit the component YUV signal?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Brash

You want well screened 75 ohm cable - the heaver gauge the conductors the better.

The cables we use are four core 75 Ohm Miniature Multicore cables that are not too thick to fit into a SCART hood - we use SCART to RCA and SCART to BNC cables on a daily basis as we're often connecting an RGB enabled Digibox to Video Processors that have RGB Inputs on 4RCA or 4BNC connectors.

These same cables work for YUV 'Component' signals too - you simply ignore the sync connector and use the Green, Red and Blue lines for Y,U and V.

Best regards

Joe