Scart adaptor and Virgin Media box?

Gogglebox77

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to this forum - I would appreciate some advice please:
I have a tv with two scarts, a Virgin Media box with two scarts, a DVD surround-sound system with two scarts, and an AV sender. At the moment, I have a scart lead from the tv to the Virgin box and a scart lead from the Virgin box to the surround sound, thereby using up both scart sockets on the Virgin box. At night I unplug the surround sound scart and plug in the AV sender to watch the Virgin channels in the bedroom. I got fed-up of having to swap scarts all the time, so I bought a scart adaptor. However, it does not work when plugged into the Virgin box (I have tested it elsewhere and it's fine). Sorry guys, but is there something totally obvious that I am not doing?
Thanks
Gogglebox77

Does your surround sound system not have a separate analogue audio input? (most do) If it does, you can connect a stereo phono audio cable from the virgin box's dedicated audio out to the home cinema, leaving the second SCART free.

Also, I take it you have a SCART lead from the home cinema to the TV, which you don't mention?

If you could state the home cinema model number (and the TV), I could give better suggestions than a SCART adapter; which shouldn't be necessary in this case.

Hi thanks for your reply. The surround sound is Philips HTS 3500S and (i think) the tv is Philips 37PF9946.
Yes I have a lead from the tv to the surround sound as well.

The Virgin box is not a V+, just a Samsung V Box. Re. dedicated audio output... I have just had a look at the V box and there doesn't appear to be one.

Thanks
Gogglebox77

Last edited:
Is this the home cinema? because the HTS3500S has no SCART sockets according to the manual.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, the TV has a set of audio out phono sockets next to the SCARTs, connect a lead from this to the home cinema "AUDIO TV-IN" phono sockets. The sound from the V box will be sent up to the TV via its SCART connection, and output from the TV audio out to the home cinema when you watch it (via `TV' on the home cinema remote).

I tried the Av cables but nothing happened. I also discovered the tv is not connected to the scarts in the surround sound so the sound is coming entirely via the Virgin box. :confused:

OK, it seems the model numbers are mixed up...
I was looking at the HTS3500S/51 not the HTS3500S/05 which has one SCART.

The connections should be as follows, forget about what you have now:

V Box (TV SCART) > TV (Ext1 SCART)
Home cinema (SCART out) > TV (Ext2 SCART)

(NOTE: I mean proper, fully wired, SCART-SCART cables and nothing else... you aren't using adapters when you say "Av cables" are you?)

Then, pressing "TV" (beneath the Play button) should allow you to hear the TV (and the V Box). Or repeatedly press SOURCE on the front of the unit.

Alternatively, if audio isn't output from Ext2 back down the SCART (it should be), also connect:
TV audio out (stereo phono cable) > Home cinema (AUX-IN phono input), and press "AUX/DI" on the home cinema remote.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I'll try these tonight.

:thumbsup:
Gogglebox77

ows90, you're a star :clap:

Tried your advice and it worked immediately.

Thanks for all your help

Gogglebox77

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom