scariest film ever???

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by damien, Nov 18, 2002.

1. damien

damien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after getting the SCARIEST film ever on dvd i already have the thing and the exorcist help me out!!:devil: :devil:

2. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I think a lot dependes on the circustances of viewing.
    For me it will always be when i watched Friday 13th,on my own,at 2 am.I was about 19 years old.

:D

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoy a number of horror films, but I have little imagination, so I find it hard to get scared.
    As Paul mentioned, circumstances are important. I find The Shining quite chilling given the right conditions.

4. Tal

Tal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched The Others a few months ago and that film chilled me to the spine and made my hair stand on end. I was sat with three other grown men, when I watched it and we all sh*t ourselves. I've not been scared by a film like that in ages, not since I was 13 when I watched Evil Dead in broad daylight!!!!!!!

Tal.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,176
    I personally don’t get scared as such, but I empathise with characters so Alien has to be mine as they kept putting Ripley in bad situations.

6. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the viewing situation can have a significant effect on scariness...

try watching the chosen film at night (preferably winter!), in the dark (a power cut might be nice but might cause problems!), alone in your house/flat (with no-one coming back later in the evening to talk to!) then try to go to sleep afterwards (which will probably force you to start contemplating what you have seen rather than being quickly distracted by something else!).

i find the 'scariest' films are ones that are unsettling rather than overtly scary e.g. the Ring, Blair Witch, Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Masacre, giving you something unpleasant to think about rather than some quickly forgetten 'jump-out-of-your-seat' frights.

Dan

7. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have to say The ring is the scariest film I have ever seen (except maybe one of the Freddy Krüger films when I was 6)

Watch the Ring when it's dark. I will scare the sh*t out of u
    If u wanna watch the others: Not too bad not as scary as Ring, but one advice: it has to be dark and u have to leave your door just a bit open (an inch or so)

and Dan. I have to agree with your theory Ring is soo scary becoz it doesn't really shock but becoz it makes u crazy on a more psychological level

8. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    'Ring' scared the sh*t out of me as well when I saw it a few months ago on channel 4. It left me uneasy for almost a week and I had to talk about the film to everyone at work just to convince myself it was just a film. Then the following week I watched the sequel 'Ring 2':eek: ,opps.

There is also a prequel made after 'Ring 2' called 'Ring 0' and a remake is just out in America I think.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I watched the first twenty minutes of An American Werewolf in London when I was 10 - it scared the hell out of me! :D

Don't really get scared by films anymore :( Sixth Sense & Se7en both had their moments.
    I watched Judge Dredd on BBC1 last night (hadn't seen it since the cinema) - that film is so so so awful it is scary! :D

10. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Judge Dread, a classic no brainer action film. About scary films though how about 'Signs', recently in the cinema, maybe advailable to rent. Its like The Sixth Sense, only with spooky aliens. Not really a horror film but contains many shock moments which made me almost jump out my seat in the cinema.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Salem's Lot (the boy floating around the window still creeps me out)

The Exorcist

Rosemary's Baby

The Shining (Red Rum :eek:)

That's about it. Haven't been scared since the 1970s :D

End of Friday 13th made me jump first time round as did one particular scene in Final Destination (you know which one ;)).

It's a shame they don't make scary films anymore :(

12. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Didn't expect much from it but Long Time Dead was surprisingly good. The Others is a great one to watch in a dark room. BUT I remember seeing The Exorcist in the early 70s, and was SO relieved when I came out of the cinema into daylight.

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I always liked "Gaslight", an old b&w classic.

14. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not so much scary, but chilling 'The Cube'

15. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    but personally its The Thing.

16. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is no question.....it has got to be SpiceWorld! :blush:

17. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,189
    I haven't been scared by a film since I was a kid and stuff like Jaws and Snowbeast kept me awake for days.
    Recently I've been surprised by the fact that 8 legged freaks and the old Bill Shatner cult classic Kingdom of the Spiders have left me shuddering and my hair standing on end, and I'm not even scared of spiders, it's just that when Cap'n Kirk has a bucketload of tarantula's dropped through an air conditioning vent onto his head I can't help but get the willies and start looking like I've stood too near the TV[​IMG]

18. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rita, Sue and Bob. That well scared me. But seriously The Sixth Sense sent a chill up my spine. :)

19. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sixth Sense spooked me a little, but the one that still gets me everytime is watching Elisabeth in Poltergeist.

20. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what would be even scarier than the film the Ring would be if a video-tape production company started randomly recording the sinister video sequence from the film on their 'blank' tapes before packing for un-suspecting people to find :devil: (although only the minority of people that have actually seen the film would be effectively scared by this tactic. it might be a cunning 'trailer' for the upcoming Hollywood version though!). either that or have the sequence broadcast late at night on TV very occasionlly instead of the usual public safety notices and dubious chat-line ads :D

21. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    666 the number of the beast

Look at the name of the person who started this thread. That will give you a clue to one of the scariest film series.:devil:

22. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe not very scary in it's entirity, but this thread, & Rambo John J's post reminded me of one shocker for me.

In Jaws when the dead fisherman falls down to cover the hole in the hull of his boat - that 'surprised' me. Even in repeat viewings when I know it's coming.

23. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the excorcist 3 was quite unnerving after the disappointment of the heritic.
    the thing is probably one of the best "scary movies " ever made.
    se7en was again unnerving and brilliant film.
    the excorcist is still probably the most frightening of films, another materpiece.

24. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can u be forgetting HALLOWEEN?!!?!

Quite simply the film responsible for more nightmares and 'unsettling' moments than anything else in my life!!!
    If i am alone and Michael Myers pops into my head then that's it...i'm spooked until the next morning. The first leaf dropped in Autumn sparks spooky feelings for me. I'm probably a bit obsessed but i first saw it at 11-12 years old and i'm now 31!!!
    I don't really count the sequels because for me, Michael Myers will always be out there (as it ends in the first film).

'Psycho' i'd count as another great...also 'The Thing', 'The Fog' (see a connection?), Also I remember 'Snow beast' as being scary as a kid as well as a particular episode of 'Armchair Thriller' in the early 80's involving a scary nun in an attic (I was crying and couldn't sleep alone). The title music to this series was VERY scary!!!

25. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    good point! scary films set in an otherwise as normal as possible environment work well, Halloween being a great example! it also has that fantasticly bleak title music that sets the mood perfectly!

putting really obvious but scary moments into films which aren't really supposed to be scary works quite nicely... i seem to remember one such moment in Spiderman (i think it was a very abrupt cut near when Willem Defoe realises that he is the Green Goblin) that made most of the audience jump out of their seat :p

26. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Not sure if many of you'll remember this one...

Don't Be Afraid of The Dark

An early 70s TV Movie about a couple that move into a new house where the cellar is inhabited by 'Gremlin type creatues' who are hell bent on getting the woman whilst the husband is away.

(I'm pretty sure that Joe Dante 'pinched' a few ideas from this film for Gremlins)

Watched it when I was about 9 or 10 and it scared me s***less !!

Saw it again some 15 years later and it looked really corny!

27. INORAN

INORAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Takashi Miike's 'Audition'.

I've never seen anything even come close to this.

~Chris

28. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to throw in my recommendations.....

1) Have to agree, Ring is a definite. But it MUST MUST MUST be watched at night, and prefferably alone. I could bearly sleep that night. Totally freaked (which hasn't happened in a long time)

I got the jitters copying it for a friend (alone at night) :)

2) The Shining - True classic. Not just scary, but soooo well made (would you expect any less from Kubrick?)

3) The Eye - My god, how I love this film. Some of the downright best scares money can buy. Guaranteed. Showed it to a friend, and it was great to watch him slowly curl up at one scene and mutter the words "no way", I have NEVER seen him do that with any other film. It's getting released on R2 soon, but if you can't wait, get it from DDDhouse or something for £9.

4) Dark Water - From the director of Ring, with the same unsettling style. Only slightly behind Ring in the scare department, but still highly recommended, again get it from DDDhouse.

Well those are the creepy, unsettling ones.

For the gore fans...

1) The Thing - Oozes of slimy stuff, a brilliant sense of paranoia. Everyone here has probably watched it, but you still can't go wrong with The Thing.

2) Braindead - Completely rovolting, but completely funny. Show it to a group of people. I've never known so many people to go "Eeeewww....uurrrrggghhhh" when watching a film :)

Thats my pick. Sure there are more, but can't go wrong with them.

And if you are going to watch Audition, just know what you are getting yourself into. It's not a horror film really, but it is deeply deeply disturbing. That is the only film I have ever watched that has made me ill. I won't be watching it again. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Well, that wastes enough time, back to work :)

29. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember when i was younger i saw Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time and that scared me. For some reason the part where Freddie is chasing the kids and his arms grow and extend out and start scraping the sides of the ally was a reoccuring dream...lol

The Exorcist has it's moments but recently has been viewed as more of a Comedy among me and friends.

The ending of Blair witch still sticks in my mind too.

30. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    Been a lover of horror films for a long time. I have to say that from my early days two that certainly scared the hell out of me...leading to many nightmares were 'Salem's Lot' and 'Absurd'.
    The latter is banned now and one of the most disturbing I have seen.

However the scene in Salem's Lot where the head vampire appears + the first mist by window scene were quite mind provoking. Especially when I was in bed and my brother came home from the pub and climbed up onto the ledge outside my window. He was scratching on the window and saying "Gary, let me in" and hissing, no wonder I was screaming in the night and my mum had slap my face to bring to my senses.

It must be all the horror films I have seen that gives me pleasure in making people jump. Mind you this backfired on me one night. I heard the taxi pull up outside our house and my brother was being dropped of with his girlfriend (she was stopping the night). I hid in the kitchen and stood on a chair behind the door. They came in and shut the door, the light switch was at the other side of the kitchen. I shouted and growled..... she screamed and went hysterical, my brother bumped into something...turned the light on and smacked me in the face.

Ah well that was a learning curve for me, but thinking back it sure was funny.

Gazza...