scariest Alien

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Ok so its the festive season and a perfect time for your most scariest Alien in a film or tv series ( :D yup drunk ) .

First alien that I can remeber is this alien face from the original star Trek . It gave me nightmares as i used to see the image in a varnished wood door in my bedroom.

2015-12-05-00-48-36--1396706812.jpeg

Second would be a the creature created from our primal fears in Forbidden Planet . Only later did I understand the story and although not an alien as such it was created and given life becuse the Alien technology and limited understanding . It is one hell of a beast. I can still remember the fear as the door is slowly melted through .

Ridleys Alien is the original scariest one for me . Not only does he set it in the coolest house of horror ever created he then goes the extra mile for me . Parasite and big scary monster , first you have the ultimate parasite " dont dare kill it " that in itslelf is a spider on your face with its nethers down your throat.

just for good measure we get one of the most alien of surreal births ever on film just as a taster.

For me this film and this Alien is my ultimate nightmare because it is an Alien that even in the first film was had a primeval inteligence to it to anything id ever seen before. turn the lights down crank up the sound and this Alien still delivers today.

gimme yours as i expect some good uns.

Last edited:

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
I cant top your Alien suggestion in all honesty. It really still is the most frightening creation and the fact that the recent Alien Isolation game's loyalty to the original design made the game the most frightening game in years is testamount to the original Alien creature's spectacular design.

The first alien creature that truly terrified me when I was seven years old was this huge skinny creature that crawled out of the mothership in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. What the hell was that?! Why wasnt anyone running away from it...and I mean the people in the cinema not in the movie! I remember, my mother re-assuring me, that it was a good alien (though, I am sure she looked shocked too).

Nice thread, Raduv

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I cant top your Alien suggestion in all honesty. It really still is the most frightening creation and the fact that the recent Alien Isolation game's loyalty to the original design made the game the most frightening game in years is testamount to the original Alien creature's spectacular design.

The first alien creature that truly terrified me when I was seven years old was this huge skinny creature that crawled out of the mothership in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. What the hell was that?! Why wasnt anyone running away from it...and I mean the people in the cinema not in the movie! I remember, my mother re-assuring me, that it was a good alien (though, I am sure she looked shocked too).

Nice thread, Raduv

You sir are a star for mentioning Alien Isolation that is the only thing that has come close to capturing the essence of the original story. The games storyline would of made a great film in keeping with the timeline and still with a Ripley as the central charector.

I was a little older when watching Encounters at the cinema , 12 I believe and the Queen or whatever even then filled me with a sense of wonderment . I still want to get in the ship even today.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Before myself and @TheyCallMeTJ get to carried away with the alien Isolation game and lose people I mabbye should explain why its the closest form of entertainment to my scariest alien on film.

first it tells the story of Ripleys grown up daughter and her search of what happened to her mother.

The game and story is set on a Nostromo class vessel that has been retrofitted by a pound stretcher competitor to Weyland industries . It is used as a space station but it found something beyond its control.

Drop Ripleys Daughter into the mix with multiple enemies . Alien, survivors and cheap AI and it turned out to be something as close to the original film I have played or witnessed.

I'm 48 and played the Nostromo DLC with original charectors and I was truly terrified . At one point I hid under a table until the Alien dragged me out and fiddled me bits.

back on topic .... scariest aliens for you on film and TV.

Steve N

Distinguished Member
The alien in the orignal Alien movie

Garrett

Petty well cast iron hard at scary monsters and I get more scared that something that will happen to a character. Even as at very young age was buying Famous Monsters of Filmland but one did scare me as a kid was an episode of The Outer Limits called Corpus Earthling which had a very simple monsters, small rocks that turned into crab like creatures which attached themselves to you and dissolved into your body and took you over. Had me looking under the bed to check there were no rocks there that night. As I say no monster before or after realty scared me. The scariest monster is your imagination.

Link to wiki on the episode contains spoiler and brief full plot.
Rock and crab like in top pick,
Barry Atwater bottom pic when he was taken over (who was Surak in Star Trek).
Corpus.jpg
Atwell.jpg

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
The (original) aliens from Invasion of the Body snatchers. The last scene with Donal Sutherland. I just didn't see it coming.
Even just thinking of that scream leads me to curl up into a ball in the corner of the room.

detail.774fd052.jpg

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Another alien that made my blood curl was in Signs. Although many seems to find it meh, it was very effective on me thanks to the great camerawork and Newton's score.

Predator should also get an honorable mention.

But truely, with all the great mentions so far, they all still pale in comparison to Higer's Alien, its the Don Bradman of alien monsters, ie so far ahead of the second best, its unsurpassable, imho.

bash

As a kid I found Ash the android in Alien more scary once he was revealed as opposed to the Alien. the alien was acting more on insinct whereas Ash had a shady agenda which freaked me out more. Plus the milky blood thing and flaying around was pant wettingly surreal

Kids eh?

Garrett

The (original) aliens from Invasion of the Body snatchers, did not star Donald Sutherland the main star was Kevin McCarthy.

Apollo11

I'm 45 and still couldn't watch the original alien on my own. I bought the game last year and cannot play it - It's the only film that's ever scared me, nothing else comes close and I could watch anything at any time of day and not be even slightly disturbed. Impressive for a film from 1979!! :)

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Raduv - you got it with the first post.
In Forbidden Planet we were the aliens and that discovery was the scary bit.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
The shadows from Babylon 5. Not only were their ships overwhelmingly powerful, but the way the creatures manifest was extremely sinister. The climax of the episode Interludes & Examinations was creepy in the extreme.

mikemag

Distinguished Member

Nice thread, Raduv

Even though Close Encounters is one of my absolute favourite films I can strongly remember the various aliens scaring the BeJaysus out of my 10 year old self back in '77. Even when they weren't shown, just suggested, they made the creatures in Doctor Who seem cuddly in comparison. The POV shot of the alien going down the chimney before Melinda Dillon pulls the shutter pushed me so far back in the seat I thought I was gonna move the entire row about two feet back :blush:

Great thread.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Not necessarily 'scary', but the alien/s in Under The Skin were certainly creepy. There's something about aliens that are just beyond the limit of human understanding that makes them frightening. You can't readily reason with them. Same goes for the monolith from 2001.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Even though Close Encounters is one of my absolute favourite films I can strongly remember the various aliens scaring the BeJaysus out of my 10 year old self back in '77. Even when they weren't shown, just suggested, they made the creatures in Doctor Who seem cuddly in comparison. The POV shot of the alien going down the chimney before Melinda Dillon pulls the shutter pushed me so far back in the seat I thought I was gonna move the entire row about two feet back :blush:

Great thread.

Oh so glad you mention that scene, I think its one of the most unsung scary scenes in cinema history and I dont care if we have deviated slighly from the main point of the thread! Masterfully executed by a great director in his prime. From the moment that ominous widefield shot of the stormy clouds as Melinda was hanging her washing, the fear factor just kept cranking up, relentlessly!

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
What I didn't like about the aliens in War of the Worlds was there fact they were changing the ecosystem of the planet with the red weed. I remember a TV series years ago with similar walking machines, The Tripods. That kind of freaked me out, walking machines going around grabbing people.

D

Deleted member 241106

I watched Xtro (1982) when I was a kid, truly terrifying. It's a B movie horror but it had a certain tone that really unerved you. The alien in it freaked me out big time. Well worth a watch with some really scary surprises.
Trailer

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022