Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
THE POP CULTURE PHENOMENON THAT REDEFINED
THE GANGSTER GENRE COMES TO BLU-RAYTM
FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN SEPTEMBER 2011

SCARFACE

Featuring Exclusive New Bonus Content

Universal Pictures International Entertainment, London; with machine guns blazing, the explosive underworld epic Scarface arrives on Blu-rayTM Hi-Def in September 2011 from Universal Pictures International Entertainment. Considered one of the most influential gangster films ever made, Scarface’s gritty depiction of Tony Montana’s lethal ambition has made it a cultural touchstone that spans generations. Now, fans can experience the film’s raw power in spectacular high definition picture and explosive 7.1 audio for the first time ever. Exclusive new bonus content created especially for this release reveals the film’s iconic legacy as of one of the greatest crime sagas of all time. Scarface is also available for legal digital download and via video-on-demand.

Nearly 30 years after it first exploded onto the screen, Scarface stands as a cultural icon with a passionate and growing fan base that continues to exert an enduring influence on not just moviemakers but artists across the entire pop culture landscape.

A masterful collaboration between acclaimed director Brian de Palma (The Untouchables, Carlito’s Way) and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Oliver Stone (Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, Platoon), Scarface features extraordinary performances from a powerhouse cast that includes Academy Award® winner Al Pacino (The Godfather), Academy Award® nominee Michelle Pfeiffer (The Fabulous Baker Boys, Hairspray), Academy Award® nominee Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (The Color of Money, The Perfect Storm), Academy Award® nominee Robert Loggia (Jagged Edge) and Steven Bauer (Traffic). The film was nominated for three Golden Globe® Awards (including Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Score), and was named one of the Top 10 Gangster Films of All Time by the American Film Institute.

BONUS FEATURES: *Denotes all- new content
• *The Scarface Phenomenon— This all-new documentary presents Scarface as a unique phenomenon in cinema history. It explores how a film plagued by controversy leading up to its release has become a Hollywood classic, influencing a whole new generation of filmmakers and leaving a lasting imprint on popular culture.
• Deleted Scenes
• The World of Tony Montana —Experience the world of the ultimate gangster and hear from experts on the real world violence, fear and paranoia that surrounds a drug lord.
• The Rebirth —Director Brian De Palma, producer Martin Bregman, actor Al Pacino, and screenwriter Oliver Stone revisit the history of Scarface, from the inspiration of the original Howard Hawks classic to the evolution of the script.
• The Acting — Join the filmmakers, Al Pacino and Steven Bauer to discover how each of the roles was cast and how Brian De Palma worked with his actors to get unforgettable performances
• The Creating — A fascinating, controversial and definitive journey through the making of the film, which began with the production being forced to leave its initial location in Florida. Discover how the chainsaw scene was filmed, learn about the production design, the photography, and the struggle to get the film an “R” rating in the US.
• Scarface: The TV Version— A revealing and hilarious montage of film clips comparing the theatrical version to the network television version of Scarface.
• The Making of Scarface: The Video Game: Immerse yourself in the world of Scarface in this behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the video game.
• *U-CONTROL FEATURES ON THIS BLU-RAY DISC:
• Scarface Scoreboard—Watch Scarface like never before. Keep track of the number of times the “F” word is used and monitor the bullets fired!
• Picture in Picture— Available in English with subtitles in French, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese. Access interview footage of Brian De Palma, Al Pacino, Screenwriter Oliver Stone, and others without interruption to the movie experience. Also featured is a scene comparison between the 1983 version of Scarface and Howard Hawks’ original film.
• *BD-LIVE™—Access the BD-Live™ Centre through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more.
• POCKET BLU™ APP— Universal’s groundbreaking pocket BLU™ app uses iPhone™, iPod® touch, Smartphone, Android™, PC and Macintosh to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player and offers advanced features such as:
o ADVANCED REMOTE CONTROL: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
o VIDEO TIMELINE: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie.
o MOBILE-TO-GO: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to mobile devices or to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
o KEYBOARD: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard to facilitate such Blu-ray™ features as chatting with friends and sending messages.

SYNOPSIS
In the spring of 1980, the Mariel boatlift brought thousands of Cuban refugees to the sun-washed avenues of Miami in search of the American dream. From acclaimed director Brian DePalma, Scarface is the rags-to-riches story of Tony Montana (Al Pacino), who finds wealth, power and passion beyond his wildest dreams…at a price he never imagined. Tony Montana’s meteoric rise, lavish life and soul-destroying fall anchor an epic film that inspired a worldwide following. Pacino is at his most memorable as Montana, blasting his way to the top of Miami’s drug underworld in a bravura performance.

Technical Information
Street Date: September 2011
Rating: 18
Running Time: 170 minutes

:smashin:

Dont take this the wrong way but is there really a need for another duplicate thread?

This happened with Lord of the Rings and is a pain as we end up reading both

Dont take this the wrong way but is there really a need for another duplicate thread?

I'm guessing this is a new development at the site. As chief cook and bottle washer in the film review department I'm guesing it's a new part of SC's job description.

Merge threads. Problem solved.

I actually think it's good that we get this sort of press release posted here, rather than in the 'News' section. It's good to read the official press release details.

So, many thanks to Simon. Keep it up. But is there any way to rationalise the threads?

Steve W

yeah after i went to the trouble to start a new thread! ha ha..

what is it were always being told by the mods!...do a search, this is already being discussed here

The definitive Scarface thread

although i think it has been posted as a singular news post, trouble is..people will start posting here rather than my thread!

also being discussed over in the steelbooks forum!

simply solution, if theres already a thread on this..lock the news item and thread..sorted..simples!

Last edited:
steelbook ordered. :smashin: this is the first steelbook i have bought. just felt it needed that extra bit more as this is one of my top 5! cannot wait...:clap:

steelbook ordered. :smashin: this is the first steelbook i have bought. just felt it needed that extra bit more as this is one of my top 5! cannot wait...:clap:

sorry my friend..your gonna have to...6 months im afraid..and this has been on my wants list for 4 years on blu...

note to self: (dont contradict yourself by posting on a thread you want locking)..oops!...see how easy it is :facepalm:

yeh, have a load of preorders to wait on...platoon, tron/tron: legacy, lord of the rings ext., star wars complete sage, and the list goes on! At least they are all spaced out evenly, about one a month to keep me going...:D

OMFG I gots to have that steelbook. Never upgraded my 11-year-old DVD version, so this will do nicely. I hope they keep the original 2.0 audio on the UK disc though, as I've never heard the remixed version and I don't want to be stuck with another Terminator-style atrocity.

Reading up on this it looks like its getting the works which will hopefully mean a release quality wise on a par with the likes of TaxiDriver and Apocalypse

lets sure as hell hope so! a film of this calibre deserves nothing less! :lesson:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom