scared to jump ship?

zico martin

Established Member
Reaction score
Im still a Sky+ customer but as I have my telephone and broadband from NTL/virgin I really need to get them all from the same place to save some money.

to move everything to sky seems liek too much hassle as i would need to get a BT line installed so Im increasingly tempted by the V+ box which seems to do most of what my Sky+ box will do.

What would I lose by getting rid of my sky+ box ( which i love tbh)?

is the quality any better? I understand that is has some HD built in but is there much HD output

god i really need someone to tell me what to do!

I'd say Virgin will be better value, unless you want HD content because there is virtually nothing.

i wanna save money so am not even thinking about paying the extra for a sky HD box.

isnt there some HD stuff on demand with virgin? either way it would be bonus and not something i think would be worth paying for.

In the past I used to have NTL cable and always though the picture was very sharp anyway, would I still find the picture at least as good as sky?

I think a phonecall to virgin tonight is in order.

and sky.

as i currently pay £45 for broadband and phone what kinda deal could i expect to get the XL V+ set up?

Just to let you know, you no longer need a BT phone line with Sky. I just recently got Sky HD, but kept my Virgin Media phone line.

The V+ box gives you the best picture quality for SD viewing, but pretty non existent for HD.

I think Sky is a lot quicker to use, and interactive stuff, like on Sky Sports is well done (you can't get Sky ineractive element on V+).

V+ you can record two things & watch a third, which is very useful.

They both have their +'s & -'s.

I think for SD Vigin is the best.

getting v+box next week. i am not prepared to pay £299 up front for a hd box
off sky. there is only bbc in hd at present on virgin, but other ones are bound to follow. when you consider the sky hd box is only covered for 12 months,you have to pay £60 after that for call out fees or you pay a monthly
amount,(more outlay) to keep it under warranty. although you never own
the v+ box, any faults and the engineer has to sort out the problem, as in
all rental agreements. hope this post helps.

What would I lose by getting rid of my sky+ box ( which i love tbh)?

You're probably aware, you may not even watch them infact - but you'll lose Sky One, Sky Sports News & Sky News :(

You're probably aware, you may not even watch them infact - but you'll lose Sky One, Sky Sports News & Sky News :(

Watch this space for that because Virgin are taking Sky to court over this. How long that takes is anyones guess, but imo, High Court = Long wait...

well Ive cancelled sky (30 days notice ) and will be getting V+ on the 17th may. Phone, broadband and XL V+ ( with an extra box upstairs) for £50 a month with no installation fee. Is this a good deal? I'm hoping i wont miss sky sports and sky movies too much!

well Ive cancelled sky (30 days notice ) and will be getting V+ on the 17th may. Phone, broadband and XL V+ ( with an extra box upstairs) for £50 a month with no installation fee. Is this a good deal? I'm hoping i wont miss sky sports and sky movies too much!

I just ordered the XL broadband (20Mb from 1st May) , XL TV with Movies and Sports, V+ box plus a second box for £67.50 per month (no phone).

I was in pretty much the same boat and just recently swapped to virgin with v+ and an extra stb upstairs (already had phone and BB with them), and i have to say i'm pleased i did.
It's a matter of personal opinion but i think the on demand stuff is great, the v+ is an excellent bit of kit to and all in, for me, it's more for less!

Hi all

I've just got rid of virgin VIP pack after pic probs since install at the start of March. All they could do was cut my VIP pack to £60 for 12 months but after these 6 weeks of V+ and 9 years of ' soon, tomorrow, it's coming' I've now had it up to the hilt with them.

Still keeping the BB and XLphone and 39 channels for £19 :smashin:

Yesterday and got the skyhd on a £149 offer. :D

Now lets see if they can do any better?

I was in pretty much the same boat and just recently swapped to virgin with v+ and an extra stb upstairs (already had phone and BB with them), and i have to say i'm pleased i did.
It's a matter of personal opinion but i think the on demand stuff is great, the v+ is an excellent bit of kit to and all in, for me, it's more for less!

good, exactly what i wanted to hear!

Seems an ok deal. You have nothing to lose anyway. VM give a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not happy with your new service.

one problem i have just thought of though is that I dont suppose I will still be able to use the magic eye with virgin to allow me to change channels in the bedroom :( handy for watching recording programs at present with sky

just read on another thread that the HDMI and RF do not output at the same but if I change a setting before we go to bed this couls be solved. However than just getting the channels up in to the bedrrom via a RF cable, like sky is there any power going through the RF cable which will power the magic eye to allow me to change channels/ operate V+ upstairs?

does that mean the magic eye i use to watch sky+ in the bedroom wont work for me??

It might work it conjuction with the TV Link Plus, depending on the model - but not on its own.

It might work it conjuction with the TV Link Plus, depending on the model - but not on its own.

well what i have looks very similar to the TVlink shown at that site so im hoping i get what i want for under £30. What about getting an extra V+ remote control though, are they easy to come by

What about getting an extra V+ remote control though, are they easy to come by

Plenty on ebay. Not really looked anywhere else, but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get them from various online stores.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom