scared to go to plasma but currious..

Phill1978

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i have a 1080p philips lcd 9632d, its generally exellent. with freeview its probably the best lcd at the moment, and blueray is inaculate with only a not true black letting it down, other than that its 3d in quality almost.

now, i need a bedroom,chill room screen. ive looked at the latest 37" lcd and a few 40" lcd`s but i really want 1080p resolution.

whats the options for me with a 1080p plasma under £1k ? are there any deals online. also i looked at the panasonic px range i know there are half hd but the reason i want this screen is for gaming and some HTPC, its just that i do struggle a bit on games with LCD`s average black/gamma and motion blur is more noticeble on gaming.

any ideas ?

i have a 1080p philips lcd 9632d, its generally exellent. with freeview its probably the best lcd at the moment, and blueray is inaculate with only a not true black letting it down, other than that its 3d in quality almost.

now, i need a bedroom,chill room screen. ive looked at the latest 37" lcd and a few 40" lcd`s but i really want 1080p resolution.

whats the options for me with a 1080p plasma under £1k ? are there any deals online. also i looked at the panasonic px range i know there are half hd but the reason i want this screen is for gaming and some HTPC, its just that i do struggle a bit on games with LCD`s average black/gamma and motion blur is more noticeble on gaming.

any ideas ?

you should be able to get a 42" Panasonic PZ80 for around £870 which is full HD

I take it with you title "scared..." you were referring to screen burn? If so, that's why I won't go over to Plasma. All this rubbish about burning the screen in for the first 200 hours, what a joke. Why on earth should you have to go to all that hassle to reduce the chances? When you buy a TV you should be able to use it properly from day one.

Think I'll wait till OLED comes out. Shame as I really want a TV. LCD is crap too, lag, clouding, banding. Today's technology is a joke. The more advanced the technology is the more problems arise.

RoEy

All this rubbish about burning the screen in for the first 200 hours, what a joke

Yeah and that picture with 2:35 burn on the Pioneer. :rolleyes: It's a flawed tech, if you have to change channel every few minutes to avoid screenburn. Considering most channels now have dogs, then various aspect ratios (widescreen and 4:3) gaming, HTPC use.

I have a Pio 4280XD, just did a few hrs of the break in dvd just to make sure. It's running flawlesly (probably didn't have to use the dvd) and I just use it like any other crt tv. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with it. Be it retention burn in of whatever else. :smashin: Not image lag smearing etc. with this set either with games or whatever else.:smashin:

Isn't all this screen burning stuff a little bit on the anal side too ;)

Does the instruction manual for any plasma give directives on what to do for the first 200 hours?

I take it with you title "scared..." you were referring to screen burn? If so, that’s why I won't go over to Plasma. All this rubbish about burning the screen in for the first 200 hours, what a joke. Why on earth should you have to go to all that hassle to reduce the chances? When you buy a TV you should be able to use it properly from day one.

Think I'll wait till OLED comes out. Shame as I really want a TV. LCD is crap too, lag, clouding, banding. Today’s technology is a joke. The more advanced the technology is the more problems arise.

RoEy

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Never satisfied, 'ey? Not until you've got a paper-thin screen which projects holographic images with perfect skin tones and 500hz refresh rate? My God, man...

I went "to hell with this" and cranked up the settings on my plasma after just 70 hours. I've had no problems whatsoever. The 42" PZ80 is a very good screen for the money.

Just wondering, say, if I just got my TV brand new, and I watch 1 DVD (2 hr movie) per day with blackbars (letterbox format), will I get retention or uneven pixel age, because it's not 200 hours yet?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Never satisfied, 'ey? Not until you've got a paper-thin screen which projects holographic images with perfect skin tones and 500hz refresh rate? My God, man...

No I'm not and I don't see why I should be. 100's of pounds on a flawed technology. I don't want to turn over onto soccer saturday and be paranoid about leaving it on that channel whilst the scores come in. I'd actually like to enjoy a TV.

RoEy

Just wondering, say, if I just got my TV brand new, and I watch 1 DVD (2 hr movie) per day with blackbars (letterbox format), will I get retention or uneven pixel age, because it's not 200 hours yet?

You should be fine, this will sound controversial but I don't think the 200 hour thing makes any difference in the long term as far as black bars go. If you watch say 2 hours of full screen TV and 2 hours of widescreen TV you'll end up with the middle part of the screen hitting 200 hours before the rest does, as the pixels in the black bar regions will essentially be unusued for half of this time. However, when you average it out over a long period of time, these pixels will catch up to the rest. If you watch 100 hours of widescreen TV immediately then these pixels will always have 100 hours less usage than the rest of the TV. Yet if you wait until 200 hours have passed and give it 100 hours of widescreen usage spread over several months you will have the same end result: the black bar regions will be unevenly aged, regardless of when the aging occurs. This cannot be avoided but generally it will take several hundred, possibly thousand, hours of use before any difference becomes noticable.

Isn't all this screen burning stuff a little bit on the anal side too ;)

Does the instruction manual for any plasma give directives on what to do for the first 200 hours?

Mine doesn't, though it specifically mentions that burn is not covered by the warranty. On the plus side, most newer plasmas have screen burn removal tools which will fix all but the most severe burn in an hour or two. You really need to have a static image viewed for hours on end to get uncureable burn. Or only watch 2.35:1 sources for ever perhaps. Little things like your radar map on games like GTA4 are not a problem as again, most modern plasmas have anti-burn tech. Eg they move the entire screen imperceptably by a few pixels every minute or so.

Personally I would take the relatively low risk of burn associated with plasma over the guaranteed inferior picture associated with LCD. Believe me I have done a TON of research before chosing plasma, and I was pro-LCD all the way until I actually started doing the side-by-side thing (see below). After that, it's no contest.

OP, please don't be afraid. And don;t take my word for it. Go to a shop like Curry's and get them to hook up the same video source to an LCD and equivalent plasma, side by side and insist they let you play with the settings. I guarentee you will NEVER chose LCD over plasma again, no matter how scared you are of burn.

Just to make things a bit clearer I have simulated the effects of a 1% uneven loss of total brightness and a 5% loss of total brightness. This is assuming a perfect logarithmic decay curve and a half-life of 60,000 hours. That is, the maximum brightness of the screen will decay to half after 60,000 hours.

This first image shows the effects of having black bars on screen for long enough to cause a 1% reduction in brightness in the central area, where black bars are never present. This would take 870 hours of black bar usage over the time that you own the TV.
1burnyb2.png

This second image shows how a 5% reduction in brightness in the central region relative to the bright bars would affect the image. This would take 4441 hours of black bar usage over the lifetime of the screen.
5burncq8.png

Now I don't know about you but I most certainly would not notice the first case and I would certainly find the second situation very very offputting. 4440 hours is a long time but if you watched a 2 hour film every day for 6 years you would end up with screen burn like the second case. You need to weigh up your usage patterns to judge whether it will affect you or not.

For how long? For what it's worth, I have owned my plasma (the new Sammy) for 1 week now, and I have watched at least ten 2.35:1 movies since getting it and I see no problems.

For how long? For what it's worth, I have owned my plasma (the new Sammy) for 1 week now, and I have watched at least ten 2.35:1 movies since getting it and I see no problems.

Give it time...

I just hope that watching 1 movie with black bars per day, mixed with a couple of hours of random TV in full screen with cancel out the residual black bars that might build up yes?

No I'm not and I don't see why I should be. 100's of pounds on a flawed technology. I don't want to turn over onto soccer saturday and be paranoid about leaving it on that channel whilst the scores come in. I'd actually like to enjoy a TV.

RoEy
I do just that every saturday for several hours. What retention?? I watch 24 News with its tickertape bars and logos at least 5 hours every day. In another forum a guy paused his TV, went to work and came home to the same screen. What screen burn?

This is a Panny 37PX80

firstly thanks to all, especially golden void & saleshark who recommended the panasonic full HD ! its a great price.

is there maybe a brilliant set thats 37" but perhaps not full HD thats a bit cheaper ?

also i read this with interest...

Now I don't know about you but I most certainly would not notice the first case and I would certainly find the second situation very very offputting. 4440 hours is a long time but if you watched a 2 hour film every day for 6 years you would end up with screen burn like the second case. You need to weigh up your usage patterns to judge whether it will affect you or not.

now, i know it may not be on anyones care list, but its on mine. when i finish with equipment like an old AV amp, some speakers that can no longer be used as in the first or even second setup or perhaps a games console, i struggle to find anywhere in the house to store these old items. being into videogames, movies and the lastest both formats have to offer i can upgrade every 3 years perhaps 4-5years for a TV.

now, what will happen to all those plasma owners when they want to sell. will they have to shoehorn a 42"-50" screen into some back bedroom ?
why would anyone want a screen with much reduced life, potencial burn etc.. for any ammount of money on resale.
sure we all know the technology is almost expendable and losing out to lcd (soon oled) but there is a limit to the depreciation ?!

its like buying a projector with half the bulb life where the bulb will continue but the image quality will fade, although not being able to swap the bulbs.

were not talking 8 years here or even 6. were talking even after 4-5 years a plasma could be in a state where to get rid of it you will basically either sell it at a stupidly low price or just throw it on the tip ?

I cant believe this image retention/burn rubbish is still going on,at the end of the day thousands of plasma screens are sold each year and we are a happy bunch,If you want a good allround tv for SD and HD its a plasma you need.:thumbsup:

Well I put a thread on here a few months back saying i'd wished i'd got plasma first time around and that i'm converted. I went through approx 10+ LCD's and was never satisfied with any.

I ended up getting a PX70, and i'm still happy with it.
the quality of the picture outweighs any of the so called plasma flaws imho, they say plasma isn't as good as CRT but I think its much better no convergence issues etc.

Even SD on it looks sort of pseudo HD!.

I've had a static windows desktop on there for hours, SSH/Telnet sessions on there, left stuff on pause.

I've had a bit of retention yes which went away after a few mins, but no burn what so ever!. I think people need to realise that there is a big difference between retention and screen burn with the latest generation of panels.

Well I put a thread on here a few months back saying i'd wished i'd got plasma first time around and that i'm converted. I went through approx 10+ LCD's and was never satisfied with any.

the quality of the picture outweighs any of the so called plasma flaws imho, they say plasma isn't as good as CRT but I think its much better no convergence issues etc.

I've had a static windows desktop on there for hours, SSH/Telnet sessions on there, left stuff on pause.

I've had a bit of retention yes which went away after a few mins, but no burn what so ever!. I think people need to realise that there is a big difference between retention and screen burn with the latest generation of panels.

Another satisfied convert.:thumbsup:

what screen res is yours m8 ?

ive got a fairly small budget i might go for a 720p/768p 37-42" plasma although dont know which one at this res ?
ive had a 720p lcd before and its image was actually better than the 1080p set ive had (apart from 1080p material of course) it seems like 720p screens are better developed (up until recently) and 1080p is avaliable but your getting the latest tech at a cut down spec compared with a higher quality 720p screen of a simular price, might be wrong though.

The panny 37/42 px80 models will satisfy your needs check any review.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom