1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared Stiff of a new TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Kings, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Kings

Kings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well...............

I was in the market for a new Sony Widescreen, then I have looked at the problems on this site, .........

boy is my money going to stay in the bank.

I have a problem with my 8 yr old Toshiba Nicam which seems not to be compatable with the new Sony dvd300s I just purchased.
    {see the DVD forum for info "Sony DVD NPS 300 problem "}

I assumed that the solution to everything would be to get a Sony Widescreen and the dvd would be as happy as Larry, hmm I don't think so now

OMG, what should I do ............ go for it or stay put

your advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Kings
    Loughborough
    UK

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have my sympathy. I also wanted a new TV and was advised by a friend to go for a Sony TV. I bought one 28" model and had no end of problems that ended in Court Action with the retailer. Eventually I won and bought a Sony KV28FQ75 which also had a problem. The shop changed this with no problems and I am happy with the one I have now (although I am awaiting delivery of the Ultimate DVD to be sure). However, the whole experience has left me with a sour taste.....what should have been fun wasn't. The TV I have now is great, lots of functionality, great looking (I'm not a techie) and gives a picture I'm more than happy with.....although I did just notice the scrolling black bars on U571 the other night for the first time. I'm glad I stuck with it but be prepared for a long slog.......I think most of the people on this site are quite knowledgable and know what they want (As I've said I'm just an ignorant newbie), so if there is a small fault they are more likely to pick it up than your average joe bloggs and will act upon it.......as a result you only see the postings where problems have occured.
    Good luck.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Rules for buying a TV:

1) Spend a huge amount of time reading forums like this. Use this to generate a short list of makes and models. ALSO use this to find out the sort of problems people have experienced with various TVs and with various types of DVD etc.

2) Collect together examples of discs that demonstrate or highlight the problems. eg - if you are concerned about geometry, get a test disc; if you are concerned about black level detail, get "Unbreakable" and so on.

3) Find a local retailer (not a big chain, and definitely not Currys Dixons Comet) who will agree to you testing the set out before you buy it. To be fair, you should try to find a retailer who has stock, so, if necessary you can cherry-pick the best one.

4) Expect to pay more than on the web, but the same or less than Currys Comet Dixons.

5) Take your DVD player and sample discs to the shop, and spend a couple of hours at least, satisfying yourself that the thing is OK.

6) Go home poorer and happier than the guy who bought from bargain-electricals.com and is now having trouble getting his money back because their "customer service" department don't answer or return phone calls.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or just buy a Loewe... :blush:

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Good advice from Nigel.

6. Kings

Kings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies :D

and in particular nigel

at lest I have somwhere to start from now

cheers

Kings
    Loughborough
    Leicestershire
    UK

7. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Please read your Private Messages if you have the time Blustu...Thanks

8. Jimbob

Jimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I think you have to remember is we represent a very small amount of the population here.

Most people were brought here because they experienced problems with their TV etc. You forget and don’t read about the thousands who are perfectly happy with their TV because they aren’t represented here.

If for example all Sony TV's for were rubbish etc they wouldn’t be in business.

I say do some research but ignore some of the scare stories and perfectionists and just enjoy the TV you eventually purchase.

Chris

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True enough Jimbob, I quite agree. People don't usually come to forums unless they have a problem.

A one off problem with one set is fine, that happens and always will do, and I would never take one incidence as a sign that a model isn't all it should be.
    But when people start mentioning the SAME problems with the SAME model of television, it does then give warning signs doesn't it? I'm not a perfectionist, but I'd like a TV which shows people's faces as flesh coloured instead of covered in green blotches! :)

Carol

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    Same as Lowrider get not much wrong with this TV, read all other posting on Loewe and Aconda/Vitrios.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

11. Jimbob

Jimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's just another point of view :)

Speaking of which there seems to be those that love the Sony FQ75 and those that hate it/claim it has awful broken picture with colour bleeding etc.

Its too bad I havnt been keeping track of how many there are of each since I still rather like the look of this set....

Chris

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well Sony I think are market leader for televisions.

In general the quality is good but the main reason for all the complaints is this

10% faulty

a) 100 tv = 10 complaints
    b) 20 tv = 2 complaints

Instantly you think b is better when there is little difference.

I have an early Sony 50Hz IDTV and it is fine, a few niggles* I would rather live with rather than risk another TV.

* Took a while to get pay TV, teletext sometimes doesn't kick in try 2 minutes later and it is ok, SVM not menu disableable in personal mode, poor quality audio out from phono sockets.

13. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I don't think those people, like me, who bought the FQ sets hate the set. If we did, we would not have bought it in the first place!!

As I said in my first message in my thread, apart from the scrolling bar, it's a great set in every ways. No doubt, Sony makes good tv's. I have a 17 year old Triniton which is being used everyday and it is still going strong (touch wood !) - the picture is as clear as any new tv. The only thing that went wrong was the replacement of the power button which cost me a fiver for the part. Even the batteries that came with the remote are still original !!

What we are annoyed with is the way Sony is dealing with the design flaw problem by playing silly silence and denial games with customers. Have you tried ringing Sony's Information or Helpline to explain the problem ? Before you can finish, you are told to contact the retailers and they will not listen, let alone logging your complaint. Their authorised service engineers are treated no better and let to find a fix on their own. The retailers like John Lewis are not getting any response from Sony from the number of sets returned to them because of this fault. As someone (BJ Mansfield) said in my thread, he was impressed with the way SOny Center staff are "gagged" when confronted with the problem.

This is the issue of the matter !!!

If SOny come clean or at least make it known that they are aware of the problem and finding a cure, I don't mind sticking with the set or get another model.

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The FQ75 seems to be a bit of a black sheep, where is it made?

The DX range TVs seem to be quite trouble free and have a good picture.

I suggest that FQ dissatified owners audition the DX100 as it has DRCMF two tuners and I am guessing is the replacement model

15. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The FQ75's are made in the UK

Maybe that's why Sony UK Technical is keeping silent and denying the problem to save their faces for not knowing how to cure the infamous scrolling bar problem.