1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scanning / printing question

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Geoggy, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi all,

I have some printed pictures which i dont have the negatives off.

I would like copies of them in various sizes - as these are wedding pics the photographers want a lot of money for doing this.

What are my options around scanners?

Is it best to buy one, or do jessops do a scanning service at sufficient resolution to be able to blow the pictures up to say A3 size without losing resolution etc?

If i do buy one - what is the minimum dpi i would need to get to ensure that any future printing / blowing up i would do would be high quality with no pixelation?

Any recommendations / help on the above would be very much appreciated!

Many Thanks

:smashin:

2. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try taking a photo of you pics with your digital camrea. :)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Without the negs you will not need a scanner that is capable of much more than 300dpi. You only need high dpi scanners if creating pics from the negs. You will be able to increase the size, but going from say a 6" x 4" (or even larger) origionals to A3 will result in a very noticeable reduction of quality. For this size you really do need the negs.
    Many photo shops, such as Jessops, will be able to do this for you to save you buying a scanner if you have no other use for a scanner. It is not cheap, but if only getting a few done should still be cheaper than buying a scanner. Also A3 photo printers are not cheap.
    Be aware that many shops will not print enlargements of copyright protected photos and may consider this the case for your wedding pics.

Mark.

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I doubt that any commercial business will copy them for you as they will be copyright of the photographer.

You can pick up a decent scanner for less that £50, and you can copy pictures at 300 dpi, or go for 600 dpi if you are after really big prints.

Unless you are prepared to do some serious tweaking of the scans, then post-processing in photoshop (or similar), and then some printer callibration and tests of the best paper then I would not expect the image to blow up to A3 and look as good as a photo would. A4 size should be OK though.

Also don't forget that inks will fade, so do some googling on this to see if your printer and inks will make a lasting image - or find out how best to preserve them.

5. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    thanks for the advice gang.

hear what you are saying re the copyrights.

looks like it might be the scanning option.

can anyone reccommend a good scanner and a good printer?

also re fading inks - does this happen if printed on photo paper?

i dont want to print them on normal a4- so it would have to be a printer that prints photo quality on photo paper.

thanks again guys:smashin:

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I have a Canon scanner & printer as I have always found the performance very good, but there are very many others out there that will do a very good job with photos.
    As previously mentioned the scanners are all fairly good so no particular make/model is really needed to get good results. Most modern ink jet printers will also give very good results very close to a developed photo. My scanner for reference is the Canon D1250U2F which can also scan negs & slides and the printer is the Canon BJS900 which uses individual ink tanks that can save money as you only replace the colour tank that has run out!

As for fading inks - I think most if not all the modern photo printer makers guarentee their inks on their own photo papers for many years, even up to 20 years. Therefore I don't think fading is a real problem. Of course you can use different makes of paper &/or ink, but you will have no comeback if they do fade.

Hope this helps,
    Mark.

7. Rindless

Rindless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Talking of copyright issues, if I had a 35mm film cell and took it to somewhere like Jessops, would they develop it ?

Also when I use my scanner, the image is always kind of grainy and the colours are never the same as the original.
    What am I doing wrong ?